autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DA sequence question

Hopefully this makes sense. What is the proper sequence when using a DA such as a porters after you do your test panel. For instance you use 1) swirl remover 2) Some Polish 3) Sealant. Would you "swirl remove" the entire car in sections, then polish the entire car in sections, then seal the entire car in sections OR do you break the car in sections and perform all 3 swirl remove, polish, seal on each section?

I am just using a 3 step method for the sake of the example. I realize you should start with the least aggressive first.

best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA sequence question

I perform each step to the whole car and step down each time.
    Bo Davenport
    Evolution Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodavenport View Post
    I perform each step to the whole car and step down each time.
    So do I once I have dialed in my process.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks for the quick response. Thats what I was assuming but confirmation is good.

When you are working on level say the swirl removal (mild paint correction) do you do a section at a time say door, hood, trunk etc... or do you break those sections down even further?

In an old life when I would apply by hand I would end up say using the P21s cleaner on the whole side of the car then buff out. I realize that would be too big when using a DA correct?

Post Thanks / Like

2 foot by 2 foot section at a time, sometimes even smaller depending on the amount of correction needed.
    Bo Davenport
    Evolution Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like

I work on a panel at a time. Get all the correction done then move on to the next. I do the whole car at once when applying a sealant but revert to panel by panel when applying Carnuaba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodavenport View Post
    2 foot by 2 foot section at a time, sometimes even smaller depending on the amount of correction needed.
    Good Advice. I wax/seal based on which one I am using. If it needs to dry completely (DGPS, Gritos BOS, Megs 26), I do the whole car and come back to buff it off. If using a wipe on/wipe off (pinnacle SSII), I do one panel at a time.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I really think this is a forgotten topic for beginners. Depending on the polish or swirl remover, most you would make your "6 stage passes" then wipe off, then move to your next section?

Sorry for so many super newb questions. This is very helpful though, I want to make sure I know the basics before getting overwhelmed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    Hopefully this makes sense. What is the proper sequence when using a DA such as a porters after you do your test panel. For instance you use 1) swirl remover 2) Some Polish 3) Sealant. Would you "swirl remove" the entire car in sections, then polish the entire car in sections, then seal the entire car in sections OR do you break the car in sections and perform all 3 swirl remove, polish, seal on each section?

I am just using a 3 step method for the sake of the example. I realize you should start with the least aggressive first.

best.
    On a multi-step correction finish an entire step (compound, polish, jeweling) give the car a finalt IPA wipedown (ideally you should do this after your finished with that step on every panel) then move on to the next step in the process. I like to keep my workspace clean. I'll have various pads/polishes out for the test spot to dial in, but after that everything except the polish and pad I'm using at that moment goes back into their individual containers.

Mike Phillips

Here's what you want to do,

Wash the car and clay if needed, remove any above surface bonded contaminants before doing any paint polishing work.

Next, do a Test Spot, that is take all the product you plan on using over the entire car and use them on one small section on the car and make sure your "system" works to remove the defects and make paint look great.

Once you prove your system, the simply repeat that process over the entire car.

Point being, if you know your system works in one small area you know it will work over the rest of the car, thus no disappointments.

As for how to carve up the car...

If you think you can do the entire car in one day then do the correction step all at once to the car, then the polishing step and lastly the wax or sealing step.

If you only want to tackle portions of the car in one day then just do the above but to only the hood and roof for example.

Read this recent thread on CorvetteForum to see how much time this member invested in doing his car...

Video: How To Remove Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots with a DA Polisher - Corvette Forum

Also watch this video and the videos linked to on the above page...

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls

How big of a section to do at one time depends upon how easy the swirls are coming out of the paint with your choice of pads and chemicals and even your technique.

If you find the swirls are coming out fast and easy then tackle a large section at one time. If you find the swirls are coming out slow and difficult, then shrink the size of your work area down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast