autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which pads, sizes, and how many will I need?

Hi Guys,
    Ok so I have my Makita Rotary on it's way, will be here on Wed. Still on the fence for the Flex 3401. Since the Makita is on it's way I am ready to buy some pads now. I have been looking at the LC 6.5 pads, I can get a 6 pack to get started. What do you guys think are the pads I should get? I am getting the M205, M105 with the Meguiars sealant and the prewax cleaner. I think I should get the 4 inch pads for small areas as well. I also saw the big 8 inch pads on the site what do you think about 8" pads? Any thoughts on pads, pad size, and color would be much appreciated. I need to get some scratches, swirl marks, and I will be using them to apply sealants and waxes also. How many pads do you think I will need for a total and complete detail? What kind of pads (name brand), color, size, and etc. What backing plates would I need also? Thanks in advance. Man love this site. Everyone is so helpful.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which pads, sizes, and how many will I need?

If you are getting the flex 3401 then I say get the meguiars w66 rotary backing plate. Asphault Rocket told me to get this and I am really happy I did. I am able to use the same pads for my flex as I am my rotary. i personally do not like the larger pads as in the 8".
    I also like the flats over the ccs but wont complain about either.
    I love the hydrotechs but the regular pads are really nice too. If it were me I would get 12 pads to start off with, 4 orange, 4 white, 3 gray, and 1 yellow. Most of your correction can be down with orange but you have one yellow for the hard stuff and then you have plenty of polish pads and then gray to finish with. You can get away with fewer pads but I am a pad junkie, I have over 50+ pads of different kinds

All the best,
    Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it have to be the Meguiars W66 six inch or can any 6 inch backing pad work for interchanging the pads with a rotary and the Flex?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Any 6" backing plate will work for interchanging pads between the flex and the makita. I would also get a few tufbuf black wool pads, PFW or any wool pads to add to your arsenal. If you need to use an orange pad with a rotary you might as well use wool. It cuts faster, runs cooler, and is much easier to use/handle. Orange pads are great on a DA but on a rotary its like a brick.
    Alan T.