autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Car

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some newbie guidance. I have just purchased a new 2010 black Cayenne. The car has been hand washed once and dried with a blue waffle microfiber cloth. No matter how quickly I work to dry the car in the shade there are still light water spots. Question – What product should I use on a brand new black finish post washing to remove all of these very light water spots?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car

ONR could make life easier, or you can just follow up with a quick detail spray.

A good sealant or wax would help the water get off the car, and make drying easier.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else use a leaf blower to dry their vehicles? I started using it on my motorcycles and then moved to the cars. Works great and allows you to dry without touching. No water spots even with hard water.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering doing the leaf blower option. Is it really that good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dubber View Post
    I'm considering doing the leaf blower option. Is it really that good?
    Someone may chime in that there is a fatal flaw with it, but I've used it for a few years now without issue. When I had my Cruiser style bikes (lots of chrome) I got sick of having to polish the chrome after every wash so I started using a backpack leaf blower. No spots, no extra work, just a quick wipe down with detailing spray. I have very hard water where I live (well water) and even after a softener it still leaves spots on glass and darker finishes. Using the blower I can dry the car in 5 minutes including all the little hiding spots that you find once you start trying to wax the car. I'll let it sit for 10 minutes after blowing it dry (clean inside glass etc during this time) and then the outside is ready to do whatever....no spots.

Post Thanks / Like

FK425 is the answer to your water spot problem Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine

Many people use leaf blowers to air in drying their cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash and dry it in the shade , especially with a black car. Dp Waterless cleaner and then a Pinnacle quick detail spray. This works for me since I have 3 black cars and one is a Porsche.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlPap View Post
    Wash and dry it in the shade , especially with a black car. Dp Waterless cleaner and then a Pinnacle quick detail spray. This works for me since I have 3 black cars and one is a Porsche.
    What does a Porsche have to do with it?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a blower to dry my car and follow up with a WW MF towel. I love it as you think about it... The least amount you touch your paint, the better off you are. It also gets in the areas you can't dry with a towel. I highly recommend it.

Mike Phillips

Is it possible the spot you're seeing are light impressions, as in water spot stain impressions already in or on the paint?

If so, it could be when you're wiping the car off you're seeing these impressions or imprints as the wiping process will tend to reveal them to your eyes at the right angle in the right light.

That is they are not brand new spots being created but an existing mark in the paint?

Just a guess, if that's the case then applying a light cleansing lotion by hand should remove these spots and restore a clear, spot free finish.

A gentle hand-applied product would be,

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

These kinds of spots happened to a Corvette I used in a video and the above product applied gently with a clean, soft foam applicator pad removed them easily and restored a very clear, glossy appearance to the paint. Then I re-sealed it with a paint sealant, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant I believe.

If they are actually spots in the clear layer and a light polishing like mentioned above doesn't work then you'll have to get more aggressive.

Some people have good luck using vinegar to wipe off mineral deposits but vinegar won't work if the paint is actually etched.

Here's an article on the topic,

What it means to remove swirls, scratches and water spots out of automotive clear coats

Here's a picture from the above article of a Type II Water Spot Etching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.