autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First post...question about my truck finish

Quote Originally Posted by AV8R View Post

I did order some Meg's NXT 2 as they have some deal where you buy 2 products and they rebate you $10. Would this be OK to use as a final on my truck or is there a better choice?
    You asked if there is "a better choice" than NXT - answers are subjective.

I have used NXT for years and find it to be a good product for the price. There are many similar products out there and I found a couple that I like over the NXT - HOWEVER, they are more expensive, may last a bit longer (by a few weeks), may be slightly easier to apply/remove.

Are the "top shelf" products worth the expense? Only you can decide. But, the NXT is a good product and I have no hesitation recommending it. Apply it every six weeks and your ride will look great.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gewb View Post
    You asked if there is "a better choice" than NXT - answers are subjective.

I have used NXT for years and find it to be a good product for the price. There are many similar products out there and I found a couple that I like over the NXT - HOWEVER, they are more expensive, may last a bit longer (by a few weeks), may be slightly easier to apply/remove.

Are the "top shelf" products worth the expense? Only you can decide. But, the NXT is a good product and I have no hesitation recommending it. Apply it every six weeks and your ride will look great.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Thanks...I realize how subjective this is, especially on a forum like this! I've used Nu Finish for years (I'll wait for the laughing to stop) and although it's probably not a highly praised product on here, I've had really good luck with it. I did the wheels on this truck when I bought it (4 years ago) and they literally never dusted until this last fall. I cleaned then again and used the Nu Finish to do the final clean and polish and they look like new again. I used to use Carnuba and the Zaino stuff on my vettes and really liked the way it made them look wet all the time....well..at least until I drove them down the road once, but I've been away from this stuff for so long that a lot has changed so I'm back in research mode. Sounds like it's hard to buy a bad product now.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm soaking it all up...

Mike Phillips

For what it's worth...

The M02 you shared a picture of is equivalent to M83 in cutting power. I know that doesn't mean much to most people so let me try help a little.

In the Meguiar's line they have

Compounds
    Cleaner/Polishes
    Paint Cleaners
    Pure Polishes --> Non-abrasive
    Waxes and sealants

M02 and M83 are body shop products, not really consumer products. How aggressive these two products are would depend upon your point of view.

If you work in a body shop or as a Pro Detailer and are used to using aggressive compounds than M83 and M02 are not very aggressive.

If you are an average car owner, then you might think M83 and M02 are really aggressive.

It just depends upon your point of reference.

How aggressive M02 will be also depends upon how you apply it,

• By hand?
    • With a DA Polisher with a foam pad?
    • With a rotary buffer with a wool pad?

Just the way you apply any product will affect how aggressive it is.

If your car's finish is dull and lacking in gloss and shine, then the fastest most effective way to restore gloss and thus shine would be to use a more aggressive product than than the M02 like a true compound as has been suggested. If you want to use up your bottle of #2 then work a small section at a time and apply it fairly aggressively. Ultimate Compound is also a good option when working by hand.

After that you can further polish the paint or seal it with a wax or paint sealant. Be sure to wash and clay the paint before using any compound or polish on it.

If you don't own an electric polisher, you'll find you can get better results faster than working by hand, check out this article.

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. I ordered a Griot's 6" machine and another $180 worth of goodies yesterday morning from AG. Tangerine LC Hydro Tech pads, Ultimate compound, etc. I can get 105 and 205 locally so I'll stop and get them today in anticipation of the stuff arriving from AG. Many moons ago I worked in a Lincoln/Mercury/Jaguar dealership and did learn how to use a rotary, but I can't see using one when the DA stuff has such a smaller learning curve and far less risk. I'm tired of compounding by hand so I decided it was time to treat myself to a decent orbital. Hopefully, I'll practice on my truck and then do the wife's Hyundai (which has some egg damaged clear on it..wet sand time) and my Toyota..then I'll put some wax/sealer on our new fifth wheel camper...not a job I'm looking forward to...35' of Filon siding to wax...ugh.....

Again...all the replies are greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike. I ordered a Griot's 6" machine and another $180 worth of goodies yesterday morning from AG. Tangerine LC Hydro Tech pads, Ultimate compound, etc.
    Your about to be one happy man. I've been impressed with the Hydro's so far. Post your results and experiences with the new stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    Your about to be one happy man. I've been impressed with the Hydro's so far. Post your results and experiences with the new stuff.
    Thanks and will do...I got so confused reading about CCS, Kompressor, Hydro Tech and Uber pads...I just told the guy at AG to send me a bunch of whatever he recommends.

Congrats on quitting smoking. Just like getting a nice raise in pay with the benefit of living longer!

Mike Phillips

Again...all the replies are greatly appreciated.
    This is a very good forum, there's a lot over very talented detailers that are always willing to share their knowledge and experience to help others be successful in their garage.

If you like the helpful and informative answers your received here on the AG forum then be sure to share our forum with your car buddies that might also be looking for help...

Each one teach one...

Post Thanks / Like

I just told the guy at AG to send me a bunch of whatever he recommends.

Congrats on quitting smoking. Just like getting a nice raise in pay with the benefit of living longer!
    LOL, That's a surefire way to get some good stuff!

Thanks, my assistant at work calculated my savings so far to be ~$1125.00, and that was like a month ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

If you like the helpful and informative answers your received here on the AG forum then be sure to share our forum with your car buddies that might also be looking for help...

Each one teach one...

Already done....what surprised me most is the lack of ill-mannered folks you find on most forums. Either the mods are very much on top of things of the people here are respectful of others. Either way, it's a nice change from some of the forums I frequent!

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Either the mods are very much on top of things or the people here are respectful of others.
    It's both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast