autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Claying...what am I doing wrong?

I have a black 2010 Camaro and I tried to clay it for the second time and again I now have slight marring (i.e. lines in the paint). I know I'm using plenty of lube and I'm only applying enough pressure to keep the clay on the paint. I flatten it like a patty like the video shows. The first time I used DP clay and this evening I used Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay. I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong but I really don't know. Is it possible that my paint is just so soft that it's going to mar every time it gets clayed? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claying...what am I doing wrong?

Is it possible that the paint doesnt even need claying and maybe your overdoing it? I am not a professional just trying to get an idea of whats going wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Claying will slightly mar the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when I say I clayed it twice I mean the first time I did the hood and then tonight I did the trunk. I didn't do the same areas twice yet. The reason I'm claying is because there are little specks of "polish dust" that are being real stubborn and are not coming off when spraying and wiping with a QD and MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Claying will slightly mar the paint.
    So it is normal then? So basically I should only clay if I intend to follow up with a polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    So it is normal then? So basically I should only clay if I intend to follow up with a polish?
    If you are using a clean clay and plenty of lube but still marring the paint, it may be the clay is too aggressiveness of the clay that is causing the marring. I have 2 types of clays that I use in my business, one is a clay magic red and the other is blue. I have never seen the blue mar the paint at all. I use ONR for lube.

What is your clay and lube combo? also how much pressure are you applying, because the clay should just be gliding across the surface with minimal pressure.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

The clay was brand new...........Pinnacle Ultra Poly, which is blue. I'm applying just enough pressure to keep the clay on the paint and it is just gliding. I'm really wondering if my paint is just very soft.

Mike Phillips

Didn't you tell me you thought your paint was on the soft side?

If that's the case that's probably the problem.

I've clayed a zillion cars and marring on paint with a fine to medium clay is far an few between. Using an aggressive clay can lead to "Clay Haze", which is a really nice way of saying clay scratches, but that's why most retail companies market ultra fine, fine and medium grade clays and reserve the aggressive clays for the pro side.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    I'm really wondering if my paint is just very soft.
    This is what I think the problem is.

I spoke with Richard Lin at Detail Fest and he said he recently worked on a 2010 Camaro and he considered the paint to be very soft relative to the average clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Didn't you tell me you thought your paint was on the soft side?

If that's the case that's probably the problem.

I've clayed a zillion cars and marring on paint with a fine to medium clay is far an few between. Using an aggressive clay can lead to "Clay Haze", which is a really nice way of saying clay scratches, but that's why most retail companies market ultra fine, fine and medium grade clays and reserve the aggressive clays for the pro side.

Actually it was the other way around. That Saturday when you were trying to help me to eliminate the polish-induced marring I was getting you suggested that my paint may just be very soft. I told you what I was doing and you said it sounds like I'm doing everything right and therefore suggested I may just have soft paint. That has to be it..........I know I'm doing this right. I'm hardly applying any pressure, using plenty of lube, and flattening the clay into a patty and just gliding it over the paint. Maybe I should just not clay this car.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast