autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question wood grain polishing

i have a 2009 yukon denali which i am already starting to notice some scratches in the clear coat over the wood grain. what would be the best product and method to use to get these scratches out.

thanks,
    jon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wood grain polishing

Jon...any mild compound/polish will do it. I have used Menz 106, Presta UCCL and system one with good results. I have used Duragloss 501 over that and it gives it a great shine and adds some nice strong protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wood grain polishing

I have a 2008 Denali and I have the same issue. I had a previous post and here's some good info that was passed to me by a senior member. I wasn't sure what the 50/50 IPA was regarding a wipe down after polishing, so he explained it and also provided some other insite. I had asked if any of the Wolfgang 3 step swirl remover process could work, and possibly sealing it with the Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant.

Here's the response provided by the senior member:

50/50 IPA is a mix of 50 water and 50 isopropyl (rubbing alcohol 91%) alcohol. It is used to get rid of polishing oils and anything left behind from compound, polishing etc. I use it to get rid of fillers and see if the corrections I do are real or just covering the problems in paint. It deep cleans pretty much everything including glass, paint, wood, chrome, aluminum...and gives a good surface for a sealant to bond to.

I think that the wg swirl remover kit could work but i think it is a little more agressive than a finishing polish like 205. I would prefer 205 because it cuts well and you can stop without worrying about swirls. I haven't looked it up but I assume the WG kit has diminishing abrasives and could be a little harder to use. Following with their deep gloss sealant will work very well and get everything looking nice. Big warning on cleaning plastic, do not use acetone as many people may suggest, it will eat the plastic and you will be buying new trim.

I would do a small test section before working on the whole trim, maybe that little piece over the ash tray it comes off pretty easily.

I plan on trying the Meg's 205 as soon as I make my next order.

Good luck,