autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb... Pearl White Topcoat Question

Howdy Folks!!! Yup, it is my first post here. I hope you can help me out. I am sure that you can!
    I have a pearl white 930S (that is a factory slopenose turbo 911 for the non-porschephiles) that I am giving her annual polish and wax to. It is a base, pearl, clear re-paint (5 years ago, perfect match and awesome job too).
    So far I have clayed, 3M scratch remover, 3M perfect it 3000 ultrafine, and Meguiars Professional Polymer Sealant 20. (I do most of it by hand with a little help occasionally from a Sears special 9 inch orbital)
    This year I am looking to show her off a little more then usual. Typically I topcoat with 3M paste. But, that just doesn't show the depth that I am seeing peeking around Autogeek.
    Anyway, Poorboys is out of Natty Red and it seems like all the other paste waxes on the AG website are for dark cars (I have a few of those too).
    What is the best Carnauba top coat for a Pearl White car?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb... Pearl White Topcoat Question

In general, I don't like putting carnauba waxes on light colored cars because I like the reflectivity of sealants, but the best carnauba wax I've personally experienced on light colored cars has been S100. Very good depth and nice reflections.
    I've only used Fuzion on my red Prelude VTEC and it looked absolutely stunning. I think it would look just as good on a light colored car but I haven't done it yet.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So you think I should just stop at the sealant? It does look pretty nice, but I really want to set off her hips in the sunlight and make them look wet.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hips...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb... Pearl White Topcoat Question-spring-summer-2007-128-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nose...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb... Pearl White Topcoat Question-spring-summer-2007-299-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car.

My car is a non pearl white. I just finished it with a full paint correction (didn't need much, but wanted a perfect starting point). Followed with Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant 3.0. That in and of itself looks fabulous. Just for grins I added a top coat of Pinnacle Signature Series II paste wax (this is often recommended for light paints). The paint looks like it is candy coated. Especially on the curves such as your 930s hips.

In natural sunlight the white is so bright it is hard to see the depth of the color, but, in the shade it is impressive.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSPTurtle View Post
    So you think I should just stop at the sealant? It does look pretty nice, but I really want to set off her hips in the sunlight and make them look wet.
    It's really a matter of personal preference. You might like the look of carnauba on your car and you might like the sealant look better. The only way you're going to find out is try them both and find out which one you like best.
    One of the reasons I don't put carnauba on my pearl white IS350 is because I really like the way Menzerna FMJ looks on it. FMJ seems to have that extra "oomph" of sparkle on my car that other sealants seem to lack. I know people will say that it lacks durability, but I keep my car garaged and I wax at least once a month, so durability is not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Modern sealants will give a nice "wet" look to paint and even a bit of the warmth that a carnauba gives, but a carnauba gives the most amount of warmth to a paint, even when applied over a sealant. I'd do both if you have them both on-hand. All I have right now is Auto-Glym and not much experience with the waxes they sell here, but I use sealants all the time and have been very happy with them so far.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

I had this same question a few weeks ago for my Orange Pearl Coat. I got alot of recommendations for Pinnacle Signature Series II. I have a coat on my car now, but I havent got any sunny days to see how it looks in a bright light.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Natty's White is designed for lighter cars. I've heard good things about Autoglym's HD Wax on lighter cars, but most of the time it's Metallics that get the love on lighter colors.

Dodo Juice has a soft wax and a hard wax that is supposed to be good for white cars too. Might wanna check those out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast