autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which do you prefer and why?

Just wondering what you prefer to dry your car with and why.........chamois or microfiber waffle weave? If washing more than one car would a chamois be the way to go? I'm thinking you could get more use out of a chamois than a single waffle weave for a day's work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which do you prefer and why?

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Just wondering what you prefer to dry your car with and why.........chamois or microfiber waffle weave? If washing more than one car would a chamois be the way to go? I'm thinking you could get more use out of a chamois than a single waffle weave for a day's work.
    Not a big fan of waffle weave. I like to dry with a clean Absorber or chamois and use my air compressor to blow out vents cracks etc and wipe any excess with the Absorber.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer waffle weaves. 20x40 + 16x24 with some detail spray on hand always leaves a perfect finish for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I too prefer the waffle weave..........but I have two cars and by the time I use the waffle weave to dry one car that particular towel is done until it dries. Since chamois are designed to be used wet (at least the ones I use) it seems like you'll get more work out of a chamois than a waffle weave (if you're washing more than one car a day).

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried the Cobra waffle weave yet, but I purchased one at Advance Auto (terrible) and one at Auto Zone (not bad). I still prefer a large, 5 sqft. microfiber towel. I have noticed that using an additional MF towel after using a waffle weave is a necessity.

Post Thanks / Like

I dry my car using a combination of QD spray, two Cobra Jr.'s and a leaf blower. My method works great for me. The towels are so soft, I think to myself there is no way I'm going to create towel induced swirls marks.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Sheet water off the car with a hose. Use a leaf blower to dry as much as possible. Then go over the car with a quick detailer and MF towel that can be used for drying. This scenario leaves an awesome finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn between a water sprite and waffle weave. I used the same water sprite for 10 years (it's in surprisingly good shape) but recently started to use the WW MF towel on several recommendations to avoid scratches and swirls. I find the water sprite is easier to wring out, as I rinse the drying towels in clean water between sections. The WW towel leaves little to no synthetic debris which I've see with the water sprite. I need to use 2 MF towels (~17 x 24) versus 1 water sprite for each of our BMW wagons. I also use a separate towel for the wheels and tires.

With the water sprite, I sprayed QD on the wet paint during the drying phase, adding some lubrication and leaving a nice streakless shine. Please note that I used a specific manufacturer's carnuba wax and their QD in combination for nearly 10 years, but recently tried the WG Paint Sealant. I don't feel that the old QD is as synergistic as it was with the wax.

I modified that protocol with the WW towel slightly and apply QD to the dry surface instead, as I just started using OID. The OID works so well on a dry surface over the WGPS that haven't tried it as wet application. I really like the idea of using a QD during the drying phase to protect the paint, so I need try OID and maybe other QDs over the coming weekends.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer spritzing with a good lubricated quick detailer or spray detailer after using a leaf blower and then a wipe with a WW MF towel. Unfortunately chamois synthetic nor natural offer any real knap in case of dirt/sand particles.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

My wife, so I don't have to. Next question.
    John
    Mean people suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast