autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacuzzi tub polishing

I'm going to polish up my dads new Jacuzzi tub after it's finished being installed. He got it discounted because of some cosmetic damage around the top edges from the tie down straps. I'm told it's a gel coat on fiberglass, should be similar to working on a boat then right?

I told him I'd take care of it but he went ahead and removed the visible damage by scrubbing with the green side of a kitchen sponge, and Comet. Now, it's up to his standards, the tub is white so the swirls/scratches are hard to see but even if I don't ever use the thing I'd like to get it looking good enough to match the new tile work around it. What should I use to polish? I guess , if I have to, I could buy a marine polish, then try to sell a boat detail to my neighbor.

I have:
    3m- Super Duty, Machine polish, Ultrafine
    Menz- Powergloss, IP, FPII
    Pinnacle- XMT 360
    Mags- Various OTC polishes (that I can't find), Plastx

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jacuzzi tub polishing

We sell a ton of Polish with Carnauba to boat owners it takes the oxidation right off of gel coats and leaves a brilliant shine very easy to work with as well....... hope this helps.
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post

I told him I'd take care of it but he went ahead and removed the visible damage by scrubbing with the green side of a kitchen sponge, and Comet.

the tub is white so the swirls/scratches are hard to see

Any medium aggressive to strong aggressive compound should work by machine to cut out the scratches left by a scotchbrite pad.

Depends on how hard the resin is and it's usually pretty hard but it can be buffed and even sanded and buffed.

It is shiny correct?

It's not one of the matte finishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pockets, I think any possible oxidation has been removed by the kitchen sponge. I may have to try the Polish with carnauba/sealant, I have a few friends that would go for a cheap one step polish job, looks like just the thing.

Mike, just what I wanted to here. I think I'll try Menz Power Gloss on a Cyan HT on the Flex. Yes it is shiny, or it should be but the scotchbright pad left it pretty dull.

I'm just getting anxious to polish something

Super Member Pockets@PoorboysWorld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    Thanks Pockets, I think any possible oxidation has been removed by the kitchen sponge. I may have to try the Polish with carnauba/sealant, I have a few friends that would go for a cheap one step polish job, looks like just the thing.

Mike, just what I wanted to here. I think I'll try Menz Power Gloss on a Cyan HT on the Flex. Yes it is shiny, or it should be but the scotchbright pad left it pretty dull.

I'm just getting anxious to polish something
    Just be careful with the PWS or PWCB on gel coats they have colors in them that gel coats like to absorb...... have to be careful with colored products and gel coats stick with the PWC if your using it on a gel coat.... if not PWS is my go 2
    Chris (a.k.a. Pockets)
    Warehouse Manager

Pockets@poorboysworld.com
    (845)215-9700

Post Thanks / Like

I went ahead did a test spot with Menz PG on Cyan HT. Still some deep scratches but it's a huge improvement and barely took any effort. I polished the area twice before removing the tape. It was funny that you couldn't see a difference when standing and looking at it in normal lighting.

Pockets-
    Thanks for advice about colored products on gel coats, good to know! I was thinking about PWC/PWS for one steppers on friends cars. There's 5 different PWC/PWS I'm sure they finish well, but how much cut do they have? Are they all the same cut wise?

Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 03-16-2010 at 09:53 PM.