autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Recommendations please

As a new person to your forum, I must say that I'm very impressed with the wealth of info. I'm also new to the "serious detailing" business. I've been searching the net for info on various polishes/waxes and as I expected each one of them says without reservation that their's in the best. That's where the confusion comes in when I don't know one from the other!
    I've got a black 2006 Honda Pilot that I just acquired and had a "Ming" treatment done on it to get rid of fine scratching etc. (from automatic car washes I assume). The black paint is now in excellent condition (very smooth) no sign of any scratches or paint chips at all. They (MING) told me that it's best not to polish or do anything to their finish as it will not be required. Should last for up to 5 years at which time they say most customers come back in anywhere from 3 to 5 years to have it redone.
    The vehicles I'm most interested in detailing are a silver 2006 Toyota Matrix ( we are the original owners) and it's paint is in excellent condition but needs a good polish and the other is an older tan color 1995 Buick Le Sabre also had since new and paint is in excellent condition as well.
    I used a product last year on the Toyota called "Nanowax" (did it by hand) and seemed to do a real nice job) but I guess what I'm really looking for is a good quality polish/wax that durable.
    My plan is to purchase the Porter Cable (newest one). They say this is a good unit to start with as a newbie as it's difficult to screw things up with this unit. I don't know anything about the right pads to start out with etc. So far I'm leaning somewhat to the Meguire line of products BUT any advice you can offer will be taken very seriously.
    Thanks for any input you can offer.
    Regards
    Doug

most crowded state in the world NEW JERSEY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Recommendations please

look to the right side of the page at the top under popular product links and you'll see the word "charts".Click on "charts" and that should give you what your looking for. It will be under lake country buffing pad chart. One thing that will give you good protection for a good period of time appox. 6 months is a sealant. i use Meguiars sealant and it held up great all winter long.
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 03-13-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Recommendations please

The steps (wash, clay , polish, protect) likely wont change but the products do. You will often find the hot products by visiting the forums and digging into multiple posts. Its hard to get thru the hype as we all love a new product, but the tried and tested ones will often come up time and again especially over time.

For polishes Megs 105/205 , Menzerna SIP/Nano and the Wolfgang 3.0 polishes are great starting points no matter the color.

Scott