autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 vs. "true" DA (finishing)...

The Flex 3401 has more power for correcting due to it's larger orbit stroke and forced rotation. On the flipside, will a Megiars G110v2 be able to finish(2nd and 3rd steps) better as a result of a smaller stroke and less "violent" orbit motion(no forced rotation)?

Mike Phillips

Re: Flex 3401 vs. "true" DA (finishing)...

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    The Flex 3401 has more power for correcting due to it's larger orbit stroke and forced rotation. On the flipside, will a Megiars G110v2 be able to finish(2nd and 3rd steps) better as a result of a smaller stroke and less "violent" orbit motion(no forced rotation)?
    I don't know if you can make a blanket statement like that because what each tool can and will do depends upon

• Pad
    • Product
    • Type of paint
    • Technique
    • Skill

What kind of comparison results do you see when you use these 2 tools on your car's paint and what kind of controls are you putting into place to insure equal testing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I don't know if you can make a blanket statement like that because what each tool can and will do depends upon

• Pad
    • Product
    • Type of paint
    • Technique
    • Skill

What kind of comparison results do you see when you use these 2 tools on your car's paint and what kind of controls are you putting into place to insure equal testing?

Well, I know that you've mentioned plenty of times that after correcting with a rotary, it's best to finish with a DA for 100% swirl free results. I know the 3401 isn't a rotary, but it's still forced unlike a G110v2, so I thought there might be a noticeable difference. However, the 3401 and G110v2 both have DA motion, so it's probably not a big difference compared to a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I think its more how you personally work the machine. If you know the machine and you know how to work it then you will get the results you desire. Look at Asphault... he finishes with a rotary. I dont think anyone would say there is room left on the table when he is finished polishing. He mastered that skill and if you master it on your selected machine you will get the results you desire,
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    I think its more how you personally work the machine. If you know the machine and you know how to work it then you will get the results you desire. Look at Asphault... he finishes with a rotary. I dont think anyone would say there is room left on the table when he is finished polishing. He mastered that skill and if you master it on your selected machine you will get the results you desire,

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    I think its more how you personally work the machine.
    I agree, that's why I listed technique in my first answer.

I'm also going to stick by the rest of my answer because besides technique, when it comes to final finishing, all of these other listed items are important factors.

• Pad
    • Product
    • Type of paint
    • Technique
    • Skill

That is to say you can have the best technique in the world but if you're trying to finish with the wrong pad, for example an aggressive foam cutting pad, or the wrong product, for example an aggressive cutting compound, then it won't matter how you personally work the machine, because the end results are determined by more than just one thing, i.e. how you personally work the machine, the end results are determined by multiple factors that the operator can adjust.

That's why I always post that polishing paint is an art form, it's about choosing and using the right pad, the right product, the right technique and of course the human elements of care and passion, that is a passion for what you're doing or in other words a passion for the craft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

That's why I always post that polishing paint is an art form

Aint' that the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of it come down to the paint. I've found that with paints which are very prone to micro marring, they tend to mar worse with the Flex than they do with the PC, G110...

Just my $.02
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

In response to Mike, yes you are absolutely right. There is definitely more that goes into it than just working the machine. I was just making an assumption that the person polishing was using the appropriate products and pads and whatnot.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Flex 3401 vs. "true" DA (finishing)...

If a person has equal skills on a rotary and a DA , which machine will provide more gloss ?
    Asking a different way , which machine has more potential a DA 0r a rotary ? I know the topic is da vs flex but just indulge me on this .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast