autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question for you Mike

Hey Mike,

I am working on a very large boat, the color of the boat is white and it is very oxidized. I used Meguiars M49 Oxidation Remover with a G110 and a Soft Buff 2.0 polishing pad. The problem is the M49 is taking a really long time to remove the oxidation and its not even removing all of it, I would say it looks %70 better. I even tried with a terry cloth by hand with M49 in some areas and I do not think the M49 is powerful enough.

I then picked up M67 One Step Compound and did a test spot and it performed worse than M49. Funny thing is the blue parts are easily revvied with M50 Cleaner Wax by hand?

Should I have scrubbed the boat with a brush to really deep clean it instead of using a wash mitt? but wouldnt that marr the fiberglass?

Thanks in advance Mike
    Last edited by Grizzly; 03-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Mike Phillips

Re: I have a question for you Mike

When a surface become severely oxidized it has a tendency to soak up your product as you work it and as the dead oxidized gel coat comes off load up your pad.

You can do a couple of things on the buffing side that will help...

First, switch to a cutting pad, like a 5.5" anything, smaller is better when removing sever oxidation.

I haven't tried the Surbuf pads on severely oxidized paint but they cut out sanding marks almost as good as a wool pad on a rotary buffer when used on a DA Polisher. We should have them in stock this week.

Switch to a rotary buffer and a wool pad, get a steel spur and a pad washer and get ready to buff and clean, buff and clean, buff and clean.

Get some XMT #4, this is like liquid sandpaper, it cuts fast. It's in our Automotive line but it won't hurt the feelings of your boat as you strip it down to a fresh base.

Shrink the size of your work area down

Wash the boat with something like Comet and an aggressive washing mitt/sponge and let the Comet and some elbow grease chew off some of the dead stuff before machine buffing. This probably doesn't sound like the high brow answer some might give you but it's a sure fire method to of cutting to the chase.

Mike Phillips

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Mike. I am actually doing this boat for one of my customers. I dont have a rotary either and have never used one, so I will probably stick with my G110 and do the best I can.

But do you think something like a tire brush will marr up the fiber glass very badly? I would imagine this will scrape off some of the oxidation

Also, do you think M49 is too weak? Will a cutting pad haze up the fiberglass at all when used with a D.A like it does on clearcoats?

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I really appreciatte it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

But do you think something like a tire brush will marr up the fiber glass very badly? I would imagine this will scrape off some of the oxidation

Whoa....

I didn't mean tire brush, I was thinking more like the SchMITT or the Alien Caterpillar Mitts like these,

How dirty is too dirty to safely use a rinseless wash?

White/Yellow Wash ShMITT - One side is super soft for gently washing paint and the other side is for scrubbing bugs, tar and other stubborn contaminants

The yellow side is the scrubbing side

You might be able to even use this,

Black Wheel ShMITT - An aggressive cleaning foam formula for scratch-resistant surfaces

Or either of these with a little passion...

Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt
    This wash mitt always catches everyone’s eye because it looks so strange, kind of like some kind of colony of blue ALIEN CATERPILLARS. The word Chenille is actually a French word meaning caterpillar, only these caterpillar-looking things are actually thin microfibers woven into plump caterpillar-like strands that are both absorbent and non-abrasive. This design gently removes dirt and road grime off clear coat finishes and then releases any collected dirt easily when rubbed against the Grit Guard Insert.

Carrand Microfiber MAX Total Clean All Over Wash Mitt
    This is 4 wash mitts in one! One side is a microfiber chenille and the microfiber chenille strands are 30% longer than most microfiber chenille wash mitts providing even more dirt lifting and removing POWER.

The other side offers their plush, deep-pile microfiber that lifts and carries dirt away from your car’s finish. On both edges you’ll find their Polymesh Netting to get under and remove bugs and other stubborn contaminants. To top it off, there’s a waterproof lining inside the mitt to keep you hands clean and dry and away from the wash solution with an elastic cuff.

I've turned the wash mitt inside out at the opening to show the fabric that covers the water-proof lining.

Post Thanks / Like

You're carrying Surbuf? Good move!

(where are you located, Griz? lots of boat expertise around here)

Post Thanks / Like

Griz, can you please take a couple of pics of the major problem areas? I do boats regularly and would be glad to help.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by premium View Post
    Griz, can you please take a couple of pics of the major problem areas? I do boats regularly and would be glad to help.
    What products and pads do you use for gel coats

And aluminum boats?