autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please hep,they call it chicken feet.

I just got my car back from the detail shop and notice bunches of these small white cracks on my paint.the detail guys called it chicken feet.it wasn't there when i brought it in and when i got it back it looks worse than before.they said its because the paint is going bad,it was there already and when they took all the crap of it, now it's more visible. i think that's true but should they have stop and inform me before they continue making it look worse?is there any other solution beside repainting the car? should i get a partial reimbursement from detail shop?or if not then can they at least do a temporarily solution to hide the imperfection? please help,thanks

Last edited by t2dn999; 01-12-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: new pics

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please hep,they call it chicken feet.

Hondas aren't known for their superb paint but I've never seen anything like that. Considering it appeared after they worked on the car a long talk with the store owner would be in order. What did they remove from the paint that could have possibly covered those up? Are each of those marks missing paint? Is that primer?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Called Crow's Feet. But yeah nothing you can do. Dealership is not responsible. When I worked at a dealership and did vehicle inspections, sometimes those would not appear or be noticeable until after a detail. Its actually a flaw in the clear, and not just set to one certain brand. Just means that car clear is failing due to bad clear. Only way to remove those is to paint any panel that has signs of them.

Mike - Mirror Detailing - Powder Springs, GA
    R.I.P. Matt Eddy(SouthrnStyle) 11/26/2010

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the same in another thread and once again.... a Honda:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...scratches.html
    Rick....now in North Texas

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think after they detail the car. those white spots are from the compound they used. It get deeply trapped into the cracks and that is why it is whitish in color.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not from having it detailed as they would have already been in the paint. As others have already said, it's a paint defect and is most common on the front hoods and dark colored cars. If it were new car under the 3yr/36,000 miles warranty they would cover it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

My sister's '94 Accord has that. Of course, her car has the makings of clear coat failure in more places than one, but I suspect it also has something to do with the type of paint used. I think the U.S. paint differs from Japanese paint. Just my observation and/or opinion.

Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

t2dn,

I started the other thread mentioned on here. It's an 08 Civic I just picked up. I'm actually running down to the Honda shop today. They said they would look at it, take pix and send it in if they "agreed" it was clear coat failure.

I agree now the reason it shows up is because the polish got into the cracks and makes it more visible. I had originally thought somebody had did one hell of a scratch repair. Either way I thought the exact same thing, how in the world would I explain this to a customer to where they would believe me.

Just looking at the pix, looks like what happen to my car and knowing what I know now I wouldn't say the detailer did anything wrong. Maybe if he'd done a test section like I did he could have stopped and called you. But you have the problem no matter what.

I may try a quetip & IPA until it's fixed if it bugs me really bad.

P.S. From what I've read, they indicate it happens most frequently on the hood is because of heat. I've read it bra's etc can also contribute to this problem on Honda's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    t2dn,

I started the other thread mentioned on here. It's an 08 Civic I just picked up. I'm actually running down to the Honda shop today. They said they would look at it, take pix and send it in if they "agreed" it was clear coat failure.

I agree now the reason it shows up is because the polish got into the cracks and makes it more visible. I had originally thought somebody had did one hell of a scratch repair. Either way I thought the exact same thing, how in the world would I explain this to a customer to where they would believe me.

Just looking at the pix, looks like what happen to my car and knowing what I know now I wouldn't say the detailer did anything wrong. Maybe if he'd done a test section like I did he could have stopped and called you. But you have the problem no matter what.

I may try a quetip & IPA until it's fixed if it bugs me really bad.

P.S. From what I've read, they indicate it happens most frequently on the hood is because of heat. I've read it bra's etc can also contribute to this problem on Honda's.
    There is actually a thread on the 8thcivic.com forum that addresses this issue on the new Civic. Most are getting it covered under warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think Honda does a cheap paint jobs on their cars, that way they can sell their cars at lower cost. looks like they only apply a coat of primer ,a coat of paint,then a coat of clear..hehe sucks. I heard from someone that they can apply something to blend in the imperfection so its less noticeable. anyone knows the truth of that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast