autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting rid of BO and Cologne smell

I recently bought a used 2008 BMW 328i. The previous owner seemed to have used too much cologne, which I noticed immediately. After being in the car for a little longer, I also detected sweat and smoke. The car is great, but this damn smell is preventing me from fully enjoying it.
    The smell does seem to get a little worse when the heat is on, but it does not seem like it's coming out of the vents.
    I tried leaving vinegar in the car overnight since I heard that kills some smells but that didnt work too much (maybe a little.. although now it smells like vinegar a little ).. and i tried coffee grounds.. which also maybe helped a tiny bit. What i'd really like to do is KILL the damn smells. seriously it feels like i'm driving around in this guys' armpit.
    I saw some posts on here saying bombs, ozone, sprays, etc work but I am curious if there are any sure fire ways to really get rid of the BO and cologne smells. The smoke smell is very minor so I woudlnt worry about that right away.
    Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting rid of BO and Cologne smell

Steam the carpets. Scrub the heck out of the seats. And lastly, but most important, you'll have to steam the headliner also.
    John
    Mean people suck

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Steam the carpets. Scrub the heck out of the seats. And lastly, but most important, you'll have to steam the headliner also.
    Correct.

The odor molecules are attached and impregnated into any of the fibrous materials so in order to remove the odors completely you either have to remove the odor molecules or mask them.

You can try any of the below,

Dakota Non Smoke - odor remover, smoke odor eliminator, tobacco odor eliminator, odor remover, smoke odor remover, car odor eliminator, remove smoke

Duragloss Absorb-It Odor Eliminator #371

Meguiars #23 Odor Eliminator Gallon: Eliminate car interior odors with Meguiars bulk size of #23 Odor Eliminator!

Meguiars Car Odor Eliminator is a quick spray solution to interior car odors. Meguiars Car Odor Eliminator does not mask odors - it eliminates them!

Dakota Odor Bomb - Car odor bombs for smoke odor removal, pet odor removal and more for a clean, refreshing scent!

I've read good things about the Ozone Treatment, maybe call around and see if any of the local detail shops off this service.

Cleaning headliners and not warping or stretching them is really hard, so be carefully how you touch this component.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well, I just ordered 4 different odor eliminator products - I'll post a review once i get them and try them out. I really hope at least one of them actually gets it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car man. I love those. Good luck!

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

To fully eliminate the odor you will need to use either a fogger (bomb) or an ozone treatment. As Mike stated above the molecules from the offending elements have penetrated and bonded with the molecules of the fibrous materials and now you need something (like ozone or fogger smoke) with a very small molecular structure that can penatrate the molecules of the fibrous materials and break the offending chemical bond.

Post Thanks / Like

cleaning all plastic areas with APC will help too ... and I find leather cleaner and Duragloss Odor Absorber can help also. Clean air vents with Einszett Klima-Klean and you are ready to roll.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I recently worked on a car that had been hit by a skunk and the odor had impregnated the seats very well.

I took a big box of baking soda sprinkled it liberally all over the interior, then took a scrub brush to rub it into the cloth. Left the doors open for about an hour for some airflow. Vacuumed the seats, floor, etc. To get the smell out the door panel I used the tornador with carpet cleaner.

Dealing with the wheels and body was more difficult.
    Last edited by Frank787; 01-06-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tocamo I just detailed was used as a work truck. Even After I shampooed the mats and carpets the car still smelled.
    So I used this:
    Clean Air Kit

It worked great and had the car smelling like new.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

To add, check the cabin air filter if so equipped and change it as I'm sure that has the same odors in it too.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast