autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Very good post....I'm with you Pie about wanting more power lol. I bought a PC (the original) and really like it...but I guess I'm just a super perfectionist...The PC gets most paint thats in decent shape with swirls etc into ALMOST perfect condition...but you know how you put the light at JUST the right angle and look at it from JUST the right direction...and you see that hairline scratch or those almost invisable micromarring spots...well those drive me nuts lol.

So I'll probably be getting a Makita or Flex set up soon enough here...*sigh* maybe someday soon i'll actually be able to make enough money from this to even KEEP some of it instead of just reinvesting into more goodies lol...but this is sort of a 'must have' so...I think its worth the $

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Added YouTube Videos to the first post in this thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice and super informative article!

btw I bought a DeWalt ROP! (originally a sander)

since this was all I could get my hands on, I kinda had to buy it!! (no other choices here!)

It comes with a permanently fixed 6" hook and loop backing plate

about the same OPMs as 7424XP
    How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0003-jpg

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0019-jpg

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0002-jpg

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0018-jpg

I've ordered 6.5 inch LC pads for it along with PO85rd

I hope it gives me the same results as 7424XP!

Any pointers Mike?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike! A wonderful story!But it seems to me that you yourself are a little confused by the definitions and descriptions associated with the DA?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 1XXX View Post

Hi Mike! A wonderful story!

But it seems to me that you yourself are a little confused by the definitions and descriptions associated with the DA?

Hi Алексей,

Well if I'm confused it wouldn't be the first time.

Possibly it's a language difference between English and Russian?

I'm always open to learning something new and if I make a mistake I try to be the first one to admit it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
    Really nice and super informative article!

btw I bought a DeWalt ROP! (originally a sander)

since this was all I could get my hands on, I kinda had to buy it!! (no other choices here!)

It comes with a permanently fixed 6" hook and loop backing plate

about the same OPMs as 7424XP
    How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0003-jpg

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0019-jpg

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0002-jpg

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project-abcd0018-jpg

I've ordered 6.5 inch LC pads for it along with PO85rd

I hope it gives me the same results as 7424XP!

Any pointers Mike?
    I asked AGO and Meguiar's if you could avoid holograms on jet black paint using just a rotary. I never got a definite yes or definite no.

I did get a DA would be a good choice to switch to after using a Rotary when wet sanding however. (Luckily I have both )

I used just a Rotary for the SoCal Meet up. The paint was silver so I wasn't to worried. Plus it was just a quick ultra fine polish (M 205) and a polishing pad. I wouldn't have done that if it was jet black paint)

There is 1 of 5 videos:

http://youtu.be/6f8EQNVxxbw

Careful of burning your paint using the Dewalt. Don't know you skill level so sorry if you already know this:

http://youtu.be/9mIDs_m8WRA

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Алексей,

Well if I'm confused it wouldn't be the first time.

Possibly it's a language difference between English and Russian?

I'm always open to learning something new and if I make a mistake I try to be the first one to admit it.

Hi Mike
    I am a downer, and of course I have to translate Russian into English by Google, but I'm trying to understand how (why) there was abbreviation DA...

Mike Phillips

Hi Mike
    I am a downer, and of course I have to translate Russian into English by Google, but I'm trying to understand how (why) there was abbreviation DA...

The abbreviation for DA is dual action. Keep in mind people tend to be kind of lazy and this can mean less specific.

Rotary Buffers = Singe rotating direction of the pad.

Dual Action Polishers = Offer both oscillation and rotation at the same time when operating correctly.

While there are differences in how all the tools below are "driven", that the mechanism that causes buffing pads to both oscillate and rotate, the big picture is they do NOT work like a rotary buffer.

Rupes Bigfoot Polishers
    Cyclo Polishers
    Flex 3401 polisher
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    Griot's Polisher
    Meguiar's G110v2
    Makita BO6040

Each of the above will make a buffing pad both rotate and oscillate. We generically refer to these as dual action polishers or DA's.

Does that help?

The even BIGGER PICTURE is most people don't want to know the specifics as to how the drive mechanism work just like most people don't care to know how specifics of how the transmission in their car works.

What they want is when they turn the polisher on it either removes defects or spreads out a coat of wax.

And in the same analogy, when they get in their car, it either moves forward or backwards depending upon the gear selection and direction they choose.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The abbreviation for DA is dual action. Keep in mind people tend to be kind of lazy and this can mean less specific.

Rotary Buffers = Singe rotating direction of the pad.

Dual Action Polishers = Offer both oscillation and rotation at the same time when operating correctly.

While there are differences in how all the tools below are "driven", that the mechanism that causes buffing pads to both oscillate and rotate, the big picture is they do NOT work like a rotary buffer.

Rupes Bigfoot Polishers
    Cyclo Polishers
    Flex 3401 polisher
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    Griot's Polisher
    Meguiar's G110v2
    Makita BO6040

Each of the above will make a buffing pad both rotate and oscillate. We generically refer to these as dual action polishers or DA's.

Does that help?

The even BIGGER PICTURE is most people don't want to know the specifics as to how the drive mechanism work just like most people don't care to know how specifics of how the transmission in their car works.

What they want is when they turn the polisher on it either removes defects or spreads out a coat of wax.

And in the same analogy, when they get in their car, it either moves forward or backwards depending upon the gear selection and direction they choose.

Then let the last time!

1. dual action (DA) - FLEX 3401, Makita BO 6040, Festool Rotex...

2. one and a half action (OHA) - Porter Cable 7424XP, Porter Cable 7345, Rupes Bigfoot 21 (15), RUPES ER 05TE, DeWALT 443, Meguiar's G110v2...

3. single action (SA) - Makita 9227, Bosch GPO 14 CE, Festool RAP 80.02 E...

I have the proper division of machines into groups, based on the principle of the combination of the rotation?

Mike Phillips

Then let the last time!

1. dual action (DA) - FLEX 3401, Makita BO 6040, Festool Rotex...

2. one and a half action (OHA) - Porter Cable 7424XP, Porter Cable 7345, Rupes Bigfoot 21 (15), RUPES ER 05TE, DeWALT 443, Meguiar's G110v2...

3. single action (SA) - Makita 9227, Bosch GPO 14 CE, Festool RAP 80.02 E...

I have the proper division of machines into groups, based on the principle of the combination of the rotation?

Looks good to me!

Basically the divisions you have made are separating direct drive or tools with forced rotation and oscillation from tools with non-forced rotation and oscillation.

Very good!

I would still use the words dual action to describe a category of tools that offers two actions regardless of the type just because some audiences I speak to don't get as deep as we do in the forum world. For example the TV world.

See these to examples for the TV world, in both of these I press the pad against my hand with the polisher turned to the "on" position to show how safe these types of dual action polishers are to paint.

Removing Swirls and Oxidation By Machine

How to use the Porter Cable Polisher to Remove Swirls

The masses are not as up to speed to the "details" about all the popular tools we all know, use and talk about.

Different audiences sometimes require less information. At least initially...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast