autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Buffers

Post Thanks / Like

Buffers

I know that this question probably has been answered a lot, nut i thought i would ask just because i currently use a PC7336 with great results. However, i was looking into possibly upgrading to a more powerful DA or Rotary buffer.

My question is: What is the best overall buffer for general detailing? I only detail primarily on weekends, however if i get time during the week, then i set up a few here and there.

I have read on here that the best overall is the Flex 3401. Coming in second is the Makita rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffers

I doubt you can define best for everyone and every environment ... in general the 3401 is the best Random Orbital offering.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I doubt you can define best for everyone and every environment ... in general the 3401 is the best Random Orbital offering.
    I perfer the Flex 3403 over the Makita cause of the weight.

Post Thanks / Like

The weight of the 3404 may be a bit too light if you've used a rotary OR unless you just prefer light weight buffers. I preferably like the Dewalt bc you can just use the weight of the buffer..... but if your just going for general detailing and not true paint correction:

I would really look into the new Griots DA if your on a budget or the 3401 if you have the money....
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex 3401 DA is awesome but it's significantly heavier and larger than a PC. Of course it has a lot more cut, works faster, and operates smoother. But it gives my arms a bigger work-out than the PC because if the Flex 3401 isn't properly balanced on the vehicle surface, it will try to walk away.

From what I have read on this forum, rotary offers the smoothest polishing performance and the Flex L3403 Rotary is super light and can accommodate a variety of backing plates sizes for much more versatility.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    The Flex 3401 DA is awesome but it's significantly heavier and larger than a PC. Of course it has a lot more cut, works faster, and operates smoother. But it gives my arms a bigger work-out than the PC because if the Flex 3401 isn't properly balanced on the vehicle surface, it will try to walk away.

From what I have read on this forum, rotary offers the smoothest polishing performance and the Flex L3403 Rotary is super light and can accommodate a variety of backing plates sizes for much more versatility.
    I've used a Makita to maintain my boat for decades and I guess I'm getting older, but the 3403 will not kill you on the side panels like the dewalt will, 2 pounds makes a lot of difference on the vertical panels. The poster before that said that a heavier polisher is easier because you can use the weight of the polisher. Well the 3403 is only 1 lb. lighter than the Makita so putting 1 lb of pressure on the head will not kill me, but having 1 lb. less on the verticals for hours on end will make a huge difference, for me anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesnt the flex rotary offer alot less speed variablity? I thought getting under 1000rpm's was a good thing to be able to do. The flex speeds start at 1000

Please correct me if i am wrong

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Da Fats View Post
    Doesnt the flex rotary offer alot less speed variablity? I thought getting under 1000rpm's was a good thing to be able to do. The flex speeds start at 1000

Please correct me if i am wrong

Chris
    Your correct Chris, but why would you polish with speeds less than 1000rpm? I normally use 1200 rpm to polish. For plastic bumpers I only use a DA in fear of too much heat. For waxing, well that's reserved for a special machine. It's called The Human Hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I had the opportunity to work hands on with the following DA's: PC 7424xp, Flex, Megs, & Griots Garage. The Flex certainly has the umph / Hp / Rpm's, and will do the job. I personally was more comfortable & highly surprised with the Griots Garage DA. WOW "GG" has some serious power. I made my choice after using all the DA's after 2 of Mike's class sessions during my trip to "AG" aka FUNWORLD. I kept an open mind with regard to all the choices of DA's while using them for my testing / research, but found myself returning to the "GG" often. I feel that if I need more rpm's / heat / correction power, then I can pullout the Dewalt and get busy. I know everyone can't make the trip to Fl. & attend Mike's classes which was more than helpful & FUN!!! However nothing will replace the hands on test sessions like they offer you @ "AG", I wish everyone could be as fortunate because it did help me make a more informed buying / purchasing decision. I wish you the best on your purchase & hope I've helped in some small way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I've used a Makita to maintain my boat for decades and I guess I'm getting older, but the 3403 will not kill you on the side panels like the dewalt will, 2 pounds makes a lot of difference on the vertical panels. The poster before that said that a heavier polisher is easier because you can use the weight of the polisher. Well the 3403 is only 1 lb. lighter than the Makita so putting 1 lb of pressure on the head will not kill me, but having 1 lb. less on the verticals for hours on end will make a huge difference, for me anyway.

Fair enough.
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS