autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable 7424XP

I just bought one and I'm new to detailing so I apologize of this is a stupid question or if this has been asked before. I don't have my DA with me right now, but I remember the counterweight saying something along the lines of using only a 5-inch pad or backing plate. I wanted to use a 3.5" plate with 4" pads, is this okay to do? I have a black 2010 Camaro so I think you can see why I would want to make sure that what I want to do is safe? I just want to remove a few lines that either myself or the dealership put in from washing the car. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable 7424XP

It will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

never had issue with counterweights and PC, and used many different backing plates.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    never had issue with counterweights and PC, and used many different backing plates.
    I also heard that you would need to change the counter weigh, and I noticed when I used my 3.5" backing plate that the 4" pad didn't spin very well? I wasn't putting any pressure on it just the weigh of the machine? If it doesn't spin freely would you advise changing the counterweight? Will it make a differance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro2010 View Post
    I also heard that you would need to change the counter weigh, and I noticed when I used my 3.5" backing plate that the 4" pad didn't spin very well? I wasn't putting any pressure on it just the weigh of the machine? If it doesn't spin freely would you advise changing the counterweight? Will it make a differance?
    Most say it doesn't make a difference, but an authorized PC dealer told me that you are putting pressure on the shaft by using the wrong counter weight...Dunno I would think if PC made different cw's it's for a reason. Some say it applies to sanding disks only, again, dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

The results I got using a PC with a 3.5" backing plate were never as good as what I got with the 5" backing plate. So I just took care of that by purchasing the new 3" DA from Griot's Garage. It's a very nice little device.

Mike Phillips

Remember, the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher was originally introduced as a wood sander. It was introduced to the detailing world as a paint polisher by Meguiar's in the early 1990's. The oldest Brilliant Solutions Catalog I have in my collection goes back to 1995 and it shows it in there. That was long before most of these popular discussion forums even existed, let along the online stores.

Here's some pictures of my oldest catalogs... am trying to find out if there's any older catalogs than this...

The one on the left is from 1995 and the one on the right is from 1996, the catalog from 1995 documents Meguiar's introducing the G100 at least 13 years ago and before this we were showing people in the Professional Trade how to use air powered DA Sanders to polish paint by using our W5500 Foam Polishing Pad, which if you look closely is the actual pad on the Porter Cable unit pictured below, not a W-8006 on a W64 DA Backing Plate.

Photos courtesy of MeguiarsOnline.com

The lettering is kind of fuzzy but you can make out that it says Porter Cable

With a thin piece of sanding paper attached to the backing plate the counterweight might make a difference.

With a comparatively thick foam buffing pad and especially after it becomes wet with product, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

SO mike.

If the 3.5" backing plate and 4" pad wasn't spinning with the weigh of the machine what was I doing wrong?

And how can I improve on my way of using the PC?

Mike Phillips

SO mike.

If the 3.5" backing plate and 4" pad wasn't spinning with the weigh of the machine what was I doing wrong?

And how can I improve on my way of using the PC?

I'd suggest reading through the troubleshooting guide I wrote years ago...

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide