autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I remove Pigtails?

How do I remove Pigtails ?

Last night I was Using XMT 360 with the 5.5” Tangerine LC Hydro-Tech pad and G100 to wax my truck and as I was polishing the side of the bed I noticed some pigtails in the area I had just gone over. Luckily I noticed it and stopped. It’s probably a 12” long section. The only thing I can figure is that when I was waxing the lower portion of the bed side I may have gone under the lower portion of the bed side a little too far with the pad and inadvertently picked up a piece of dirt on the pad.

Once I stopped, I changed to a clean pad and went over the same area again with the XMT 360. That did not make any difference. I then checked and I could feel the pigtails edges with my fingernail, which I know is not good. So I figured I would try the most aggressive combination that I currently have. I made a couple passes with Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and the 5.5” LC Hydro-Tech Cyan Cutting pad and my G100 on speed 5 with moderate pressure. That combo cleared up the swirls in the paint nicely, however it does not look like it even put a dent in those pigtails. I wasn't surprised.

Mike (or any of the pros), do you have any suggestions for trying to get these pigtails out? I tried taking a picture of them last night, but I have inadequate lighting in the garage and I just could not capture them. You guys know what pigtails look like. The fact that I can feel the edges on those pigtails with my fingernail, I have a feeling I am out of luck with the products I currently have.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks
    Brian

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing Pigtails

Ugh...

Pigtails and Tracers, never any fun to remove.

The only way to remove them is to level the paint so hopefully they're not too deep.

This just drives home the point as to how important it is to work clean all the time in all aspects of the job. Luckily you caught it before going to far.

Do you have a rotary buffer or access to one? Using a rotary buffer with a wool pad is a very aggressive option but might do the trick. If that doesn't work then sanding is an option but the last option.

Sometimes, working out imperfections by hand works better than with a PC because of the forcer you can exert of a small area. For example, try the UC with a piece of terry cloth and see if you can remove them and if you can then make a few cover passes with the PC to remove any toweling marks you inflict.

This is factory paint correct?

Post Thanks / Like

No, unfortunately I do not have a rotary buffer and I do not know anyone that does.

Yes it is the factory red paint on my 2004 F150 shown in my Avatar.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sometimes, working out imperfections by hand works better than with a PC because of the forcer you can exert of a small area. For example, try the UC with a piece of terry cloth and see if you can remove them and if you can then make a few cover passes with the PC to remove any toweling marks you inflict.
    I'll have to give the terry cloth/Ultimate Compound hand application method a try. Unfortunately they do feel a little deep. I'm not sure even hand application to a small spot will even put a dent in them, but I'll have to give it a try.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

If it does come down to maybe trying to feather sand a tiny spot just to test it out, do you have any tips and recommendations for technique, type of sanding paper and which grit to use? This is definitely the last option I want to try though.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that I do not have access to a rotary buffer, would the $39.99 Harbor freight rotary with the correct products be an option?
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw in a bit of info Mister B, adrock on the forum here has had quite a bit of success with his Chicago brand rotary. It's the same concept as a more expensive model, just probably doesn't have the longevity.

Whichever way you go, and I'm sure you already know this, practice on something other than your truck with the rotary or the wet sanding.

Are there any other detailers in your area? You may run across someone who is willing to help you learn the process. If not, there are some pretty good videos of Mike wetsanding and rotary buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Whichever way you go, and I'm sure you already know this, practice on something other than your truck with the rotary or the wet sanding.

Are there any other detailers in your area? You may run across someone who is willing to help you learn the process. If not, there are some pretty good videos of Mike wetsanding and rotary buffing.
    Yea, I definitely would not want to practice on my truck for the first time with the rotary. I don't need to mess up that nice red paint any more than I already did with the pig tails.

No there are not any good detailers around here that I know of.

I'll probably just try it by hand for now and maybe a little bit more with the G100 and see where I get. If that does not get me anywhere I guess I will have to look into the rotary at some point, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

I tried to get pictures of the pigtails again today, but I just can not capture them. The red is just so nice and shiny they don't show up. Plus I'm not a photographer.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

As per your suggestion Mike (as well as Tim Lingors) I went out in to the garage tonight and tried the Ultimate Compound with a terry cloth by hand. After 3 passes over a small 2" to 3" area it did improve the lighter pigtails, but not so much on the deeper ones, which the majority of them are deeper. I can feel them with my fingernail. I think I may just end up going over the rest of them by hand and then making a pass over them with the DA to get what I can out and then calling it good for now. I think they may just be too deep and I do not want to create myself more problems just trying to fix some pigtails that no one but myself will probably ever see anyway.

Thanks Mike.
    Brian

Mike Phillips

I'm working on a how-to article for wet-sanding factory paint and removing the sanding marks using a DA style polisher. (Griot's Garage ROP).

Should be done tomorrow. It's not a procedure that should be entered into lightly but if your careful it can be done. I had phenomenal results in the AG garage tonight.

Hang tight till tomorrow...

Of course this dilemma was accidental but see why I'm always posting...

Work clean

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast