autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: m105 and m205 leaving bad hazing and not correcting properly.

The microfibers are not going to cause holograms but will induce scratches. Also if you have a rotary why not use that instead of forcing the pc to do something it wasn't designed to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    I normally go M105 orange pad M205 white pads. I did a red 98 supra like this it left no haze. I went straight to Pinnacle Sourvan after.

The Ultrafine with gray pad is an extra step but not needed.
    thats good to know..

when using the brinkmann xenon light, do extra hazing and chemical residues show up that wont be visible under the sun? i could lay halogen lights 2 feet from the paint and not see things that the brinkmann makes visible.... i know that when i initially buffed my paint, it looked flawless outside in the sun, then i turned the brinkmann on it, and im crying with how many things i see after trying to fix some of the holos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    The microfibers are not going to cause holograms but will induce scratches. Also if you have a rotary why not use that instead of forcing the pc to do something it wasn't designed to do.

rotary is in storage and i wont have it for a bit, need more practice with a PC though.

well, if im not wiping firm enough, will it leave chemical residue behind? im thinking i could use a very minor glaze/aio like ZAIO after finishing the surface, and let the AIO take care of the very minor stuff while also adding a layer of protection for the next layer of sealant and LSPs, but not sure if the ZAIO is enough of a AIO to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

105 will fill when used with a pc, plus you are finding out that the KBM isn't really all that. I would agree that going from the orange to the gray pad is a big step. You can even go back over the 105/orange combo with 105/white combo, then move on to your 205. I wouldn't give up and just try and cover the defects up, figure out what the cause is and find a solution. Also those that say 205 doesn't need to follow up are missing out on alot. Keep playing around with different pad combos, like 105 on a milder pad before moving onto your 205.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    105 will fill when used with a pc, plus you are finding out that the KBM isn't really all that. I would agree that going from the orange to the gray pad is a big step. You can even go back over the 105/orange combo with 105/white combo, then move on to your 205. I wouldn't give up and just try and cover the defects up, figure out what the cause is and find a solution. Also those that say 205 doesn't need to follow up are missing out on alot. Keep playing around with different pad combos, like 105 on a milder pad before moving onto your 205.
    ive been going back and forth on pads, im about ready to switch to a new set of polishes before i give myself more headaches trying to work with the 105 205 combo. also gonna try some correction on a couple other cars (test spots) to see if its just my paint, or if its the combinations im using.

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't the M105 and M205 micro abrasives? Maybe that doesn't work so great on your paint and you diminishing abrasives.

If you mf's give scratches (even with lite wiping and lube) than you have a very soft paint. Had a couple of paint with that (all black non metallic) and it is a pain in the ass to get them right.
    You could try a different polish like Menzerna's or 3M.

It's difficult to give advise without seeing the car or working on it.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    ive been going back and forth on pads, im about ready to switch to a new set of polishes before i give myself more headaches trying to work with the 105 205 combo. also gonna try some correction on a couple other cars (test spots) to see if its just my paint, or if its the combinations im using.
    If you have other polishes then try those out. I was under the impression the Megs twins were all you were using. Lets us know the outcome with the other polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dibbuz View Post
    Aren't the M105 and M205 micro abrasives? Maybe that doesn't work so great on your paint and you diminishing abrasives.

If you mf's give scratches (even with lite wiping and lube) than you have a very soft paint. Had a couple of paint with that (all black non metallic) and it is a pain in the ass to get them right.
    You could try a different polish like Menzerna's or 3M.

It's difficult to give advise without seeing the car or working on it.
    Good luck!

yeah i hear ya, wishin there was something in my area that was knowledgeable and a member of the forum that could take a wack at it.

i may pick up some 3m stuff locally with diminishing abrasives and see what i can come up with, maybe need something that wont leave anything to question on the black surface...

Post Thanks / Like

u may be rubbing the compounds back into the paint after removing them with the MF....hence may be the reason your getting super fine scratches again. One thing does puzzle me though.. If the only way your seeing these is with the brinkman, then why are you so worried about them? lol. If the car looks flawless under halogen and sunlight then I wouldnt worry about it at all. You might try a different approach to removing the compounds and see if that works for ya. my .02

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T Riddle View Post
    u may be rubbing the compounds back into the paint after removing them with the MF....hence may be the reason your getting super fine scratches again. One thing does puzzle me though.. If the only way your seeing these is with the brinkman, then why are you so worried about them? lol. If the car looks flawless under halogen and sunlight then I wouldnt worry about it at all. You might try a different approach to removing the compounds and see if that works for ya. my .02
    yeah, ive tried quite a few approaches to removing the compounds, and the thing about the light is, it gives a really good idea of what its going to be visible under direct sunlight. and im honestly trying to get as good as possible, i do want to open a detailing business on the side and just need to work on paint correction techniques more.

the out in the sun, a lot of things look good... then you get up close and it may still look good..... but in the case of holograms if the sun is anywhere from 11am-2pm in the sky. you could walk past a door panel and it would look like one of those little 3d images, you can see tons of things you shouldnt see (holograms) under the sun outside.... which is why, waving a brinkmann on it is a good way to tell if your going to have holograms hiding under your lsp, instead of relying on a halogen... then wasting a bunch of time after pulling it into the sun.

to get better, you have to practice... and in this case, its not just practice, its products also, just need to find out what works... and i wouldnt feel right turning away a customer simply because i didnt spend an extra 60 bucks to pick up some bottles of another kind of polish so i could do paint correction on say a mazda or honda with the water based eco paint which is apparently incredibly soft.... or a corvette which may be pretty resistant to PC correction.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em comin if you can, i just finished out a portion of the panel... did a good wipe down and worked it with ZAIO to see if it needs something to work the rest of the tiny imperfections out and a protective layer to make it easier to apply a top coat LSP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast