autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Poli-Seal difficult removal

I had a real hard time, the other day inside my garage removing the light residue left behind by Optimum Poli-Seal. Anyone familiar with this product?
    I put it on using a euroFoam pad and PC set on 4.5ish... I was, again, using ops for swirl removal. I had a real difficult time taking off the haze though. Even in just trying to take it off after 2 minutes.
    BTW, I had done a light cut and polish with meg's 105, then 205 - swirl remove with ops. I generally liked how the ops looks afterward. Any ideas? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Poli-Seal difficult removal

Usually there is little to remove, but a spritz of water helps if you are having trouble. Sounds as if you may have used too much product, just enough to create a very thin barrier between the pad and the paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by great2c4me View Post
    I had a real hard time, the other day inside my garage removing the light residue left behind by Optimum Poli-Seal. Anyone familiar with this product?

I put it on using a euroFoam pad and PC set on 4.5ish... I was, again, using ops for swirl removal. I had a real difficult time taking off the haze though. Even in just trying to take it off after 2 minutes.
    Was it warm or hot in your garage? I applied this by hand to half a hood and allowed it to dry to a haze which took about a minute and it wiped off very easy. Temp is round 78 degrees. It seems to have a little more grab to the surface than a lot of sealants, maybe try only taking off little bites of residue at a time?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - no, it was probably 60 degrees, so kinda cool actually. I had my hoody on. I don't remember having this problem ever before... but this time, it certainly was a problem.
    I think I'll go back and use a soft finishing pad - I guess I shouldn't have skimped out on the 'total correction' job. I should have just used the 205 again, only with my orbital PC, to remove those swirls - rather than trying to do it with a more aggressive pad and the OPS one step. Oh, by the way, that removal did leave some 'swiping' marks from the difficult removal... damn! I do need to remove those. meg's 205 & my PC this time, then seal it.

PoppaJ- Ya, your probably right. I do feel really skimpy when my pad is leaving hardly any residue. On the other hand, one of my suppliers did tell me once - "that's the beauty of those things [foam pads] - they lay it down and pick it up at the same time... " But then I must pose the question, "when do you know for sure that you have enough product?" and it does accumulate in the center of my pad, much more often, so... it's certainly not like the 'catching it' with the rotary.
    "should a dab of the product only be applied to the center of the pad?" This might be the less effective way, but then again, what do I know... I have experienced, but I'm not an expert.
    Last edited by great2c4me; 10-26-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: wordage

Post Thanks / Like

oh, ya, this is the first time that I am using meg's 105, 205 and their 3 pads. It's the technology that I've been sold on. But I like the OPS... it's affordable and looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

How much product were you using?

OPS applied by machine needs to be worked in a 2x2 section until it disappears. You cannot just spread it around like you're applying a wax, it has to be done in 2x2 sections with a machine otherwise it will leave buffer trails. OPS should almost completely disappear into the paint leaving almost nothing to wipe off. It sounds like you weren't working it in long enough but I'm surprised because OPS has a shorter working time than other polishes so this issue shouldn't have come up.

Can you shed a little more time as to how much product you used, if you worked in 2x2 sections, and how long you worked the product before moving on to the next section?
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Emile -
    there was quite a bit of product left behind, and I was working it in on a higher speed then usual, as to remove swirls - (that worked, btw)
    2x2? That seems to make a lot of sense, actually. Of course I'm almost willing to try anything different... just as long as I don't get the same problem.
    I was being rushed, too, so... that'd explain it not being completely worked in.

But hey, Emile, where did you learn that about OPS?
    Last edited by great2c4me; 10-26-2009 at 09:40 AM.