autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DoDo Juice Wax letdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If the container is large enough then there's another technique that enables you to take the wax down evenly instead of cone shaped.
    The only paste waxes that I have used in the past have been the larger gold tins of M26 and the blue tins of M16, however I now also have a smaller 6oz. jar of XMT 180 that I have yet to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Aero, that is a classic video from when it came out. haha.

Post Thanks / Like

1.) Purple Haze is not a good wax. Despite what I've read about Purple Haze Pro's release, I believe Purple Haze is just not a good formula. It's not easy to work with and it's very streaky after buffing off.

2.) It needs manipulation to get it going. Press the applicator onto the wax pot and spin the pot around. You have to work it in the pot a bit to get it going. Also try exhaling deeply on the pot a few times, get the wax to warm up, which softens it up and makes it easier to work.

3.) Don't bother trying to apply by hand, you will just end up using way too much product. Only use a foam applicator pad - cotton and microfiber will absorb too much product and make it harder to spread.
    08 Subaru WRX

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    You might want to look at PJ's (from Dodo Juice) video. Its one of their other waxes, but it does show the technique.

Thanks for sharing the link to that video, I watched it and a couple of comments,

The foam finger pocket applicators are pretty cool and will enable you to more easily get the wax onto the foam exactly because they are smaller than most normal wax applicator pads.

Caution however when using these as the foam is thin and if you apply to much pressure you might instill Fingermarks.

This shouldn't be a problem with a finishing wax like the Dodo finishing waxes but it could be a problem if you use it with any type of compound or paint cleaner or maybe even a cleaner/wax.

It's just a pressure thing in that it will be very easy to apply or exert a lot of pressure to just your fingertip area of your fingers while inside the foam finger pocket applicator pads.

The other thing I saw in the video is what I saw in the Autogeek Garage and thats how far just a little of this wax will spread out. He used a combination of straight-line motions and overlapping circular motions but mostly straight-line motions towards the end of his demo. It's usually easier to spread a product out using overlapping circular motions because you continually bring you pad back to where the largest concentration of product on the surface is and the from then move it out. In straight-line motions you tend to move across a panel moving away from where you first started, which is where you first touched your pad down and thus usually the highest concentration of product is on the surface.

Does that make sense?

That's the first time I've ever typed out an explanation for why overlapping circular motions work better for spreading a product out versus straight-line motions.

The last comment is that I didn't know the Austintacious Wax was a limited run? After seeing that I started to panic a little and went and grabbed one for my collection.

Thanks AeroCleanse!

Don't know if anyone else is interested in this wax but there's not much left in our inventory...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the link to that video, I watched it and a couple of comments,

The foam finger pocket applicators are pretty cool and will enable you to more easily get the wax onto the foam exactly because they are smaller than most normal wax applicator pads.

Caution however when using these as the foam is thin and if you apply to much pressure you might instill Fingermarks.

This shouldn't be a problem with a finishing wax like the Dodo finishing waxes but it could be a problem if you use it with any type of compound or paint cleaner or maybe even a cleaner/wax.
    I think the finger pocket applicators are ONLY for the wax stage.

As far as circular or straight line, if you watch closely, you can see PJ uses both methods. He starts out with the circle motion, moves to straight line for the edges, does some more circle motion then finishes with quite a few passes using straight line.

I see quite a lot of European's using straight line for it, so maybe its a cultural thing?

Mike Phillips

I think the finger pocket applicators are ONLY for the wax stage.
    I've used them with both cleaner/waxes and paint cleaners for tight areas and thin panels like door jambs, wheels, etc.

As far as circular or straight line, if you watch closely, you can see PJ uses both methods. He starts out with the circle motion, moves to straight line for the edges, does some more circle motion then finishes with quite a few passes using straight line.
    I think that's what I said?

Post Thanks / Like

I've used them with both cleaner/waxes and paint cleaners for tight areas and thin panels like door jambs, wheels, etc.
    I wish AG carried the finger applicators.

Mike Phillips

I wish AG carried the finger applicators.
    I'm not sure if it's exactly like the one in the Dodo Juice video but we carry Foam Finger Pockets

Wolfgang Finger Pockets

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, because when I asked Meghan, she said AG doesn't carry them. Ok, I asked specifically about the Dodo Juice ones but she didn't mention those ones.

Now I know

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, because when I asked Meghan, she said AG doesn't carry them. Ok, I asked specifically about the Dodo Juice ones but she didn't mention those ones.

Now I know
    They are on BOGO also, they are not good for waxing I think from what I remember when I used them a while back. They have a light cut to them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast