autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim prep questions

Car is only a few months old. Working on the black trim and the chrome trim.

Black Trim

Sides and rear bumper just got 2 coats of WETS, looks good. Couple faint whitish marks, (tiny scrapes?) APC didn't remove them but an eraser kinda did. I will come back to those later in the year.

Bigger issue is front bumper; washed the car yesterday, today rubbed my hand along front bumper and underside of it also, a total fine grit feel. Stands to reason as it faces the driving direction.
    How do I get it back to smooth plastic before LSP? Wasn't sure about bug/tar remover, bug sponge, etc.

Chrome Trim

I didn't dress it before winter, but it looks pretty clean/clear. Only a few months old. But I can see tiny spots, so wondering if I should do anything before C5 coating. Clay? Polish? (I have fine abrasive polish, and old non-abrasive polish). APC?

As always, thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim prep questions

Quote Originally Posted by raysaint View Post

Black Trim

Sides and rear bumper just got 2 coats of WETS, looks good. Couple faint whitish marks, (tiny scrapes?) APC didn't remove them but an eraser kinda did. I will come back to those later in the year.

Bigger issue is front bumper; washed the car yesterday, today rubbed my hand along front bumper and underside of it also, a total fine grit feel. Stands to reason as it faces the driving direction.
    How do I get it back to smooth plastic before LSP? Wasn't sure about bug/tar remover, bug sponge, etc.

Chrome Trim

I didn't dress it before winter, but it looks pretty clean/clear. Only a few months old. But I can see tiny spots, so wondering if I should do anything before C5 coating. Clay? Polish? (I have fine abrasive polish, and old non-abrasive polish). APC?

Clay and polish as needed for both front bumper and trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Clay and polish as needed for both front bumper and trim.
    Wait, you’re saying clay & polish the black plastic trim? Really?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Wait, you’re saying clay & polish the black plastic trim? Really?
    Look below "Chrome Trim"
    Chrome Trim

Post Thanks / Like

I see where the confusion ls!

Post Thanks / Like

If the bumper is smooth painted plastic you can clay and polish. If its textured, just use WETS or Solution Finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If the bumper is smooth painted plastic you can clay and polish. If its textured, just use WETS or Solution Finish.
    Yea, that’s more in line to how I’m picturing it. Generally speaking, if you’re applying WETS onto that plastic trim it’s probably not the kind of plastic trim you’d clay or even polish except for those rare exceptions.

Post Thanks / Like

Black Trim
    The road rash you're feeling is normal. Professional advice, don't chase it. It's part of the style of the cladding these cars use. My wife's only has 14k on it and the front black plastic cladding is similar but still looks fantastic. Solution Finish will darken up the lighter spots and even it out and provide the necessary oils it needs to stay nice. Once done, use GYEON CanCoat EVO to seal it up. It will stay dark for 12-18 months then as the coating naturally fades and is abraded off by road dust, you can retreat and protect it again. WETS is great but it fades after just a wash or two.

Chrome Trim
    Treat as you would the paint.

My wife's CX-30 Turbo in Premium Plus Trim

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The front bumper is not faded or anything, it's just gritty. Are you all saying I can clay it without marring the plastic?
    Or just leave it as is and apply the sealant?

The chrome I'll just lightly APC or hand polish before C5.

Post Thanks / Like

The front bumper is not faded or anything, it's just gritty. Are you all saying I can clay it without marring the plastic?
    Or just leave it as is and apply the sealant?

For the I'll just lightly APC or hand polish before C5.
    That gritty feeling could be embedded contaminants; use a clay mitt to see if it pulls them off. As I would say it most likely is, the plastic is dinged and chipped up from road debris. You should be able to see and feel either or both. It's soft plastic and does get road-rashed easily. A clay mitt won't hurt it at all.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast