autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Final wipe down before ceramic coating

A few random thoughts:

IPA isn't that potent a solvent
    If I'm touching up a rock chip, I use it straight (well, whatever the supermarket concentration is, I guess 70%)
    Most of the prep sprays are just IPA mixtures
    The whole process seems a bit haphazard, take a not-great solvent, dilute it, add some lubricant(?) to prevent marring (which is what most of the prep sprays say they have), then wipe around a little with a MF...not sure how effective that really is
    TRC video with Adam of Adam's, he said the whole prep spray thing is nonsense, the coatings have a solvent carrier, etc. Not sure I agree it's nonsense, but there's an opinion from someone who sells coatings
    I kind of like the idea of a primer polish, where I don't have to worry about IPA wipe and whether I did a good enough job

2. Likes chilly, Rsurfer, TTQ B4U liked this post
    Dislikes Rsurfer disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm just a hobby mouse, I didn't even know much about prep wipes till this forum. I think at the very least when I use Eraser I am getting any dust or polish residue left, but mostly... it's that smell! The whole garage smells great and the microcloths I used act like an odor bomb sitting on the bench as I apply my protection. Just a pleasant working environment.

4. Likes Rsurfer, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    What would be your recommendations?
    Have washed with Koch chemie AS shampoo.
    What I can see the car looks good other than the halve of the roof with the stain look. It looks smudge like.
    A finishing polish, move up as necessary including pad cut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    A few random thoughts:

If I'm touching up a rock chip, I use it straight (well, whatever the supermarket concentration is, I guess 70%)
    The whole process seems a bit haphazard, take a not-great solvent, dilute it, add some lubricant(?) to prevent marring (which is what most of the prep sprays say they have), then wipe around a little with a MF...not sure how effective that really is
    TRC video with Adam of Adam's, he said the whole prep spray thing is nonsense, the coatings have a solvent carrier, etc. Not sure I agree it's nonsense, but there's an opinion from someone who sells coatings
    I kind of like the idea of a primer polish, where I don't have to worry about IPA wipe and whether I did a good enough job
    Sorry, thought I clicked on "like".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    I see that Carpro Eraser & Gyeon Prep is very good for this, is this still true or is there better.
    I was going to do IPA mix but have been put of by comments does work doesn't work, can make it worse spreads around instead of removing etc.
    Watched a video with Yvan, 1/3 Acetone & 2/3 Windex.

Any other options/opinions would be appreciated.
    The 1/3 acetone and 2/3 windex is a tried and proven solution. it's been around for decades, as we used to use it for paint prep back in the 80's. it's my go-to prep spray after polishing. Works great. Traditional IPA will not remove oils much at all whereas the acetone mix will absolutely remove them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    The 1/3 acetone and 2/3 windex is a tried and proven solution. it's been around for decades, as we used to use it for paint prep back in the 80's. it's my go-to prep spray after polishing. Works great. Traditional IPA will not remove oils much at all whereas the acetone mix will absolutely remove them.
    That's what I was musing on, mostly--body shop prep solvents are nothing like IPA, but all these coating prep products are diluted IPA. I was just looking at the SDS for the Optimum Paint Prep (because it was quick to find) and it's only max 10% IPA, and max 10% n-propanol (a related alcohol). So their prep is only 20% "IPA", at best. Methinks you would never use something like that to prep a panel for paint, but here we all are, happily using it for coating.

9. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the coating you're using has a panel wipe, I've read that's the way to go.

11. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was musing on, mostly--body shop prep solvents are nothing like IPA, but all these coating prep products are diluted IPA. I was just looking at the SDS for the Optimum Paint Prep (because it was quick to find) and it's only max 10% IPA, and max 10% n-propanol (a related alcohol). So their prep is only 20% "IPA", at best. Methinks you would never use something like that to prep a panel for paint, but here we all are, happily using it for coating.
    Well, I am using it. No one uses Gloss Coat anymore. Glass bottle beads are king in the detailing world. I don't live there though. Lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    it doesn’t take a lot. I start with a few sprays on my towel and then a couple of sprays per panel. You should easily be able to do multiple cars with s small bottle of Gyeon Prep.
    Is Gyeon Prep basically the same as Eraser?

Post Thanks / Like

A few random thoughts:

I see a bit lately easing up on prep for coating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast