autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D Speed now offshore made

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I always read so much great information on posts here and Autopia. There are soo soo many great products, or just products period. So much education from you guys that have tried alot of them.
    But being the.... lets say buyer of products... lol, it can be harmful to guys like me. Or harmful to my visa more to the point.
    I came from hands on only detailing, didn't jump into machine paint correction till about 4-5 years ago. When I did I used the the Mike Phillips words of Rupes's "system", and grabbed Rupes machines and compounds and polishes and pads. I did grab a few products out of the Rupes circle, Sonax Perfect Finish and some red and yellow pads (pads were on clearance for crazy cheap) and a bottle of Xtreme Solutions Finisher. Oh, and I always had Megs Ultimate products.
    But I figure going from hand to machine is a major upgrade in paint looks, so anything I'm missing from any products oit of what I have won't be too much of a letdown. I just keep self control not to buy alot of the great products out there, I'dd be broke.
    My hat is off to ANYONE who can keep from going down the rabbit hole (no offense )

I am actually doing better since I sold all my stuff in Hawaii and had to start essentially from scratch for the 3rd time

The fly in the ointment is this new car with the ceramic coating cause everybody knows you need all new stuff to take care of a coated car, right?

2 years ago I was actually leaning heavily towards probably a 80% arsenal of 3D products but I quickly put on the brakes after the MP vs 3D blowup, and luckily I wasn't buying much except microfibers and a few interior cleaners and RW stuff until I got in the new garage

Now I have a bit of this and that and some overlapping but I am actually trying to practice what I preach, KISS

2. Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    Cost of producing in the US continues to rise while it's much cheaper in Asia.
    That seems to be the biggest problem in a lot of areas. US labor costs are significantly higher which drives products to either be uncompetitive price-wise in the market, or production costs become unsustainable for the health of the company...or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post
    It will be interesting to get feedback on the Vietnam produced HD Speed once someone tries it out. Speed has been in my arsenal since it was introduced.
    With the right quality control measures in place, you shouldn't notice any difference.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I always read so much great information on posts here and Autopia. There are soo soo many great products, or just products period. So much education from you guys that have tried alot of them.
    But being the.... lets say buyer of products... lol, it can be harmful to guys like me. Or harmful to my visa more to the point.
    I came from hands on only detailing, didn't jump into machine paint correction till about 4-5 years ago. When I did I used the the Mike Phillips words of Rupes's "system", and grabbed Rupes machines and compounds and polishes and pads. I did grab a few products out of the Rupes circle, Sonax Perfect Finish and some red and yellow pads (pads were on clearance for crazy cheap) and a bottle of Xtreme Solutions Finisher. Oh, and I always had Megs Ultimate products.
    But I figure going from hand to machine is a major upgrade in paint looks, so anything I'm missing from any products oit of what I have won't be too much of a letdown. I just keep self control not to buy alot of the great products out there, I'dd be broke.
    Honestly, I've found significant time savings to become very famaliar with just one polish, one compound, and a few pads.

I see even pro YouTubeers with a ton of product on their shelves, and they'll post a video about chasing a shine via the many polishes on the shelf. They could have had the thing finished and enjoying family time had they only one set of polishes and a few pads to work with.

So, in that instance, you're in great shape! You're probably not missing anything.

I had come to really rely on the zero dust and versatility of the 3D offerings, but I can definitely get similar with Optimum Hyper Polish. It doesn't have as much cut, but the first is more consistent from vehicle to vehicle.

For what it's worth, it's been more difficult to off the products that I bought and don't want or need anymore, then to have lived without them. I wish I hadn't bought so much stuff!

6. Thanks Silly Rabbit thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Honestly, I've found significant time savings to become very famaliar with just one polish, one compound, and a few pads.

I see even pro YouTubeers with a ton of product on their shelves, and they'll post a video about chasing a shine via the many polishes on the shelf. They could have had the thing finished and enjoying family time had they only one set of polishes and a few pads to work with.

So, in that instance, you're in great shape! You're probably not missing anything.

I had come to really rely on the zero dust and versatility of the 3D offerings, but I can definitely get similar with Optimum Hyper Polish. It doesn't have as much cut, but the first is more consistent from vehicle to vehicle.

For what it's worth, it's been more difficult to off the products that I bought and don't want or need anymore, then to have lived without them. I wish I hadn't bought so much stuff!
    Yea I read some of the posts you guys talk about some of the products, I figure I don't know the difference either way, I have the products I have and will try hard to stay with those. As you said, I'll try my best to do the best I can - with the limited skillset- with these products.
    So far I think I'm doing ok. Cause I don't know any different

8. Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped in at the new 3D Livonia MN retail store. All there product including Speed wears the made in USA label. The 3 employees had never hear of a Vietnam made product. That bottle of Speed my pal got from Amazon must be made for mass market.

Nice bunch of guys. They blew me away when they pulled out a CBeast they demo with.

10. Likes chilly, Vegas1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    The 3 employees had never hear of a Vietnam made product. That bottle of Speed my pal got from Amazon must be made for mass market
    Does 3D sell products in Asia? That might explain it. Or the bottle is counterfeit.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes dlc95, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I stopped in at the new 3D Livonia MN retail store. All there product including Speed wears the made in USA label. The 3 employees had never hear of a Vietnam made product. That bottle of Speed my pal got from Amazon must be made for mass market.

Nice bunch of guys. They blew me away when they pulled out a CBeast they demo with.
    Well, that's good to know!

I'll keep my eye on it. If I notice any changes in performance, I'll deal with it then.

Those polishes are so versatile and user friendly that I'd hate to give that up.

That being said, I've really enjoyed the Opti polishes and it's been nice using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish again. It's like coming home.

14. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did write the company on their contact form two weeks ago. No response……

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the seller, it does seem like it might have been some Asian-market product that someone was selling here, as Desertnate noted.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, the 3D product page still shows a bottle of speed with the American flag and "Made in USA" under the flag and very boldly states MADE IN USA in the verbiage of the description

YMMV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast