autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3D Speed now offshore made

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    Good point and you could be right

looks like the Phillips boys are going to remain on and hopefully get bigger and better

Mike Phillips left after the acquisition..... Kinda blind sided thinking he and Tunch were in it for the long haul. He's now working with Dr Beasley's and doing training classes.

https://themikephillipsforum.com/

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

John U, Chilly was talking about the Phillips brothers who were the owners of P&S Detail Products: The Double Black Team – P & S Detail Products

4. Thanks John U thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Not that I'm defending Tunch or the P&S guys, but I think they were all at retirement age.
    Every entrepreneur's hope is a white night to buy them out so they can retire or stay on until they want to retire. Barry Meguiar found that with 3M.

6. Likes chilly, dlc95, Vegas1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I heard they sold, I started looking for a replacement. I had always been a hard-core Meguiar's user. I also love Menzerna, Optimum, and Jescar polishes too.

The firm the bought them is based in Michigan. Sam Brown Sales. The car washes I worked for used to get a lot of chemical for them.

I paid a visit to the new 3D store in Livonia, amd they're selling Sam Brown's chemicals in the store too. They also had an empty display for the P&S products.

I don't necessarily want to consciously support a conglomerate.

Dang....

8. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    As soon as I heard they sold, I started looking for a replacement. I had always been a hard-core Meguiar's user. I also love Menzerna, Optimum, and Jescar polishes too.

The firm the bought them is based in Michigan. Sam Brown Sales. The car washes I worked for used to get a lot of chemical for them.

I paid a visit to the new 3D store in Livonia, amd they're selling Sam Brown's chemicals in the store too. They also had an empty display for the P&S products.

I don't necessarily want to consciously support a conglomerate.

Dang....
    I feel the same way, unfortunately, in some cases it is unavoidable

I would rather support a small, simple, straightforward company that has a core of good products

Don't get me wrong, I like Meguiar's, but they can be overwhelming

I remember how excited I got when Oberk came out with 2 polishes/compounds and a couple of pads to support them and I thought here is a company focused on one single aspect of the industry, I bet their stuff is good

Now, fast forward a couple of years and they have joined the ranks of the "we have everything" companies and you have to wonder, were all this products as well thought out as the original ones or did they just find a bottler to slap on some Oberk labels so they could have one stop shopping

I don't know because I backed away from them after their product line exploded

3D has done that now, multiple lines that seem to overlap and confuse

I get that companies grow and expand, it is part of the formula for success but for me the complexity some of these companies create is a major turnoff

I am old and set in my ways

Rant over

10. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I paid a visit to the new 3D store in Livonia.
    No $hit! I’ll be 4 miles away next week. Thanks for mentioning this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    I feel the same way, unfortunately, in some cases it is unavoidable

I would rather support a small, simple, straightforward company that has a core of good products

Don't get me wrong, I like Meguiar's, but they can be overwhelming

I remember how excited I got when Oberk came out with 2 polishes/compounds and a couple of pads to support them and I thought here is a company focused on one single aspect of the industry, I bet their stuff is good

Now, fast forward a couple of years and they have joined the ranks of the "we have everything" companies and you have to wonder, were all this products as well thought out as the original ones or did they just find a bottler to slap on some Oberk labels so they could have one stop shopping

I don't know because I backed away from them after their product line exploded

3D has done that now, multiple lines that seem to overlap and confuse

I get that companies grow and expand, it is part of the formula for success but for me the complexity some of these companies create is a major turnoff

I am old and set in my ways

Rant over
    I spent the last couple days testing polishes on my scrap door. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish have been in my hands more lately as it is.

I took 1500 Norton disc to itbon my PC and carelessly pigtailed the daylights out of it.

It's between Meguiar's and Optimum at this point. The new Optimum compound is actually VERY nice. I was able to get most of the 1500 out with just a green pad on the PC... Think Hyper Polish on steroids. I amd going to try using a bottle with a barrow spout to dispense it though. Some of my pads have center holes and I hate getting all that spray either on the backing plate, or in the hex key recess in the Rupes/Flex style tools.

I hear you in the "CG-ing" of these companies. But it still remains to be seen if the quality suffers. I guess for me it doesn't matter. Tunch was the heart and soul of that company. As of today I don't have much confidence in the new owners.

I have no problem returning to Meguiar's Ultimate Twins or supporting Dr. Ghodussi's line - which is 95% of what I normally use on any of my details. I used to supplement Optimum with 3D's abrasive liquids when I wanted to use a more traditional product..

I could also give the Rupes compounds another shot, but I've already given away of sold three sets of their line...

I've been an "old man" since I was born! I get it!

13. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    No $hit! I’ll be 4 miles away next week. Thanks for mentioning this!
    Yeah, my band rehearses a few minutes from the store and my gf's uncle lives in a neighborhood across the street. 8 mile and Farmington rd. It's in a plaza next door to a National Coney Island.

15. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent the last couple days testing polishes on my scrap door. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish have been in my hands more lately as it is.

I took 1500 Norton disc to itbon my PC and carelessly pigtailed the daylights out of it.

It's between Meguiar's and Optimum at this point. The new Optimum compound is actually VERY nice. I was able to get most of the 1500 out with just a green pad on the PC... Think Hyper Polish on steroids. I amd going to try using a bottle with a barrow spout to dispense it though. Some of my pads have center holes and I hate getting all that spray either on the backing plate, or in the hex key recess in the Rupes/Flex style tools.

I hear you in the "CG-ing" of these companies. But it still remains to be seen if the quality suffers. I guess for me it doesn't matter. Tunch was the heart and soul of that company. As of today I don't have much confidence in the new owners.

I have no problem returning to Meguiar's Ultimate Twins or supporting Dr. Ghodussi's line - which is 95% of what I normally use on any of my details. I used to supplement Optimum with 3D's abrasive liquids when I wanted to use a more traditional product..

I could also give the Rupes compounds another shot, but I've already given away of sold three sets of their line...

I've been an "old man" since I was born! I get it!
    I liked and used the optimum hyper twins back in the day and I honestly can’t remember what flavor of the month lured me away, but they have probably only gotten better

Your point about the center hole wasting product is well taken, I hadn’t thought of that and I noticed that DIY’s pads don’t have center holes. I wonder if their spray compound is worth a darn

Too many choices

I actually like and have Megs Ultimate compound and it is a very capable product

Yeah, I’m shying away from 3D these days, even before this current thread came up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I always read so much great information on posts here and Autopia. There are soo soo many great products, or just products period. So much education from you guys that have tried alot of them.
    But being the.... lets say buyer of products... lol, it can be harmful to guys like me. Or harmful to my visa more to the point.
    I came from hands on only detailing, didn't jump into machine paint correction till about 4-5 years ago. When I did I used the the Mike Phillips words of Rupes's "system", and grabbed Rupes machines and compounds and polishes and pads. I did grab a few products out of the Rupes circle, Sonax Perfect Finish and some red and yellow pads (pads were on clearance for crazy cheap) and a bottle of Xtreme Solutions Finisher. Oh, and I always had Megs Ultimate products.
    But I figure going from hand to machine is a major upgrade in paint looks, so anything I'm missing from any products oit of what I have won't be too much of a letdown. I just keep self control not to buy alot of the great products out there, I'dd be broke.

18. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, dlc95 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast