autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimal Сasual Dating - Verified Women

Embrace the freedom of casual encounters on the best dating app in town! Verified Women Supreme casual Dating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brake Dust on Wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Um...huh? The rotors are inside the wheel, so anything cast off by the rotors...is going to be inside the wheel, not the wheel well, no matter how the wheel is turned.
    What I am saying is it is much more likely that anything cast off the rotor to be found in the wheel well rather than on the exterior lip of the wheel due to the position of the rotor. It is possible that in the event of material being cast off by the rotor not 100% of the cast off material to be contained within the wheel.
    If it is possible for material cast off of the rotor to be found on the outside lip of the wheel then it certainly could make its way to the wheel well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    After further investigation, this is not paint failure and definitely something on the surface of the wheel. He has managed to remove the majority of it using a cocktail of chemicals, but has introduced some marring. As you can see from these pics, the material is on the ledge of the spokes.

I'm now suspecting this is from superheated pad material that has fused to the wheels during a track day. The condition of the rotors would indicate this too.

Many thanks for the replies, it has had me stumped.
    Glad the mystery was solved.

What color was the material on the wheels? In the pictures it looked silver or gray, but I couldn't tell if it was just the flash on the camera washing out the exposure. Normally when I've seen situations like that, it's a brown or rust color.

How often are the wheels cleaned? I saw the mention of ceramic coating, but I wonder if the owner coated the wheels and then just left them. When I've seen something similar on wheels, it's usually from just routine neglect over a long period of time. Trach wheels I've encountered usually had thick, black, kinda sticky brake dust, but I'm sure it all depends on the pad compounds.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Glad the mystery was solved.

What color was the material on the wheels? In the pictures it looked silver or gray, but I couldn't tell if it was just the flash on the camera washing out the exposure. Normally when I've seen situations like that, it's a brown or rust color.

How often are the wheels cleaned? I saw the mention of ceramic coating, but I wonder if the owner coated the wheels and then just left them. When I've seen something similar on wheels, it's usually from just routine neglect over a long period of time. Trach wheels I've encountered usually had thick, black, kinda sticky brake dust, but I'm sure it all depends on the pad compounds.
    The material was rusty brown in color.

From what I can gather, he went to clean the wheels after a track day and ended up with a battle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12