autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning brand new tires before first dressing?

I would wait awhile as I believe how the releasing of the mold and browning are brand, compound and environment related.

I’ve read where others have used tarminator on new tires and still had brewing tires.

And just because DFB has had a good reaction to tarminator and others haven’t had nothing to do with whether you will have issues are not.

They’re thousands of tires with different compounds and DFB and others may have only seen 1 to maybe 20 different ones? Remember when you watch you tube videos or read threads you are getting their opinions on there experiences.

With as many different variables you could have a whole different experience.

They will have a combination of of variables
    different tires
    different compounds (same manufacturer can use different ones)
    different weather (heat, acidity of rain)
    Road film
    Type of mold release agent (silicone or non)

More I’m sure I’m not listing. I have seen trusted and valued members argue over the different efficacy’s of product. Someone would say it’s amazing… some said they got horrible results.

I think both were right. It’s how it reacted to THEIR environment.

Funny I’ve read where people state mold release agent is releasing and protecting tires from mold (a fungus) when it is Infact something they put in manufacturing process to release tires from the molds they use to make them.

All these could play a difference on how the cleaners will react to the mold release agents. Also knowing a lot about foams (rubber is very similar) different quality products off gas at different rates.

You may be safe to clean and apply something right away but what is worse?

Having naked tires for 4-8 weeks or dealing with the trouble (pain in the ass) of trying to remove all that and do again?

I would go ahead and clean now with tarminator, clean weekly/bi weekly with different tire cleaner and coat in 4-8 weeks

Also from Mike Phillips when asked about cleaning a tire for a coating which I believe works for dressings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning brand new tires before first dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I would wait awhile as I believe how the releasing of the mold and browning are brand, compound and environment related.

I’ve read where others have used tarminator on new tires and still had brewing tires.

And just because DFB has had a good reaction to tarminator and others haven’t had nothing to do with whether you will have issues are not.

They’re thousands of tires with different compounds and DFB and others may have only seen 1 to maybe 20 different ones? Remember when you watch you tube videos or read threads you are getting their opinions on there experiences.

With as many different variables you could have a whole different experience.

They will have a combination of of variables
    different tires
    different compounds (same manufacturer can use different ones)
    different weather (heat, acidity of rain)
    Road film
    Type of mold release agent (silicone or non)

More I’m sure I’m not listing. I have seen trusted and valued members argue over the different efficacy’s of product. Someone would say it’s amazing… some said they got horrible results.

I think both were right. It’s how it reacted to THEIR environment.

Funny I’ve read where people state mold release agent is releasing and protecting tires from mold (a fungus) when it is Infact something they put in manufacturing process to release tires from the molds they use to make them.

All these could play a difference on how the cleaners will react to the mold release agents. Also knowing a lot about foams (rubber is very similar) different quality products off gas at different rates.

You may be safe to clean and apply something right away but what is worse?

Having naked tires for 4-8 weeks or dealing with the trouble (pain in the ass) of trying to remove all that and do again?

I would go ahead and clean now with tarminator, clean weekly/bi weekly with different tire cleaner and coat in 4-8 weeks

Also from Mike Phillips when asked about cleaning a tire for a coating which I believe works for dressings.

Lots of food for thought. I generally like to play it safe, so I'll probably bring the mounted wheels home, finish coating the rims, clean the rubber as best as I can, have the wheels installed on he car and drive them for a month before first dressing.
    During that month I'll just keep the rubber clean with Brake Buster, then try Tarminator on one, if OK, finally dress them.
    With so many variables, how can anyone feel secure about a process. If my process isn't perfect, main thing is to not damage anything or have a problem to correct. I'm sure the dressing will be just fine with any of your suggestions. You guys usually speak from experience, and I like that.
    Maybe I'll watch Mike's video on machine cleaning, never heard of it.

3. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raysaint View Post
    Lots of food for thought. I generally like to play it safe, so I'll probably bring the mounted wheels home, finish coating the rims, clean the rubber as best as I can, have the wheels installed on he car and drive them for a month before first dressing.
    During that month I'll just keep the rubber clean with Brake Buster, then try Tarminator on one, if OK, finally dress them.
    With so many variables, how can anyone feel secure about a process. If my process isn't perfect, main thing is to not damage anything or have a problem to correct. I'm sure the dressing will be just fine with any of your suggestions. You guys usually speak from experience, and I like that.
    Maybe I'll watch Mike's video on machine cleaning, never heard of it.
    Best tool for cleaning tires Detail factory tire brush by hand. I deep clean with a drill brush. Your process sounds similar to what I did.

Two sets of tires are 3-4 months old. Just didn’t dress them in winter. Agreed it probably been OK to coat earlier but I know waiting to long won’t hurt anything…. Not waiting long enough might.

bad weather and didn’t have tire cleaning drill charge. So will hopefully do this week.

I use to overthink things too. Now just take my time and enjoy the details.

Post Thanks / Like

I overthink most things, and strive for perfection; we all know the downsides of that.
    heard a good advice comment recently on TV; don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

After finishing the Gtechniq C5 coating of the rim barrels, gonna do whole rim with a layer of Wetcoat. Layering has to be helpful in my opinion.
    Rubber will get Darkside, then some old Wolfgang gel I have kicking around. It's actually more liquid than gel now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12