autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel ceramic affect wheel weights?

Nearly ready to apply Gtechniq C5 to the rims. Saw comments on sites about weights not adhering as well; I guess on the inside of the barrel.
    Anyone heard of this? Someone said let the coating cure for at least 5 days.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel ceramic affect wheel weights?

When I use Opti-Coat 2.0 on wheels, I've never had any weight issues. However, OC 2.0 was not a slick coating, more like bare paint. I know DFB cautioned about the Armour wheel coating being too slick for weights; I've never used it but hard for me to imagine that double stick tape not holding.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had concerns but sofar....I've yet to find a missing weight. VHB or any decent weight supplier should -fuse- to the substate it's being attached.

Now that I'm putting this into perspective, I've be more concerned about a tire shop with cheap stick on weight.
    Every now and then , you do see a thread where the VHB is kinda there, somewhat there but the weight is completely gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raysaint View Post
    Nearly ready to apply Gtechniq C5 to the rims. Saw comments on sites about weights not adhering as well; I guess on the inside of the barrel.
    Anyone heard of this? Someone said let the coating cure for at least 5 days.
    I tend to have the tyres mounted and balanced before coating. This does make manhandling the wheels while coating more difficult, but I would rather deal with that than having something not go right with a functional part of the wheel. That said, I can't say for sure that wheel weights wouldn't adhere to a coating, I would assume that would vary depending on the adhesive used and the coating itself.

5. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I tend to have the tyres mounted and balanced before coating. This does make manhandling the wheels while coating more difficult, but I would rather deal with that than having something not go right with a functional part of the wheel. That said, I can't say for sure that wheel weights wouldn't adhere to a coating, I would assume that would vary depending on the adhesive used and the coating itself.
    Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll talk with the tire shop today, and see what he says. Maybe they only use the clip-on weights, along the edge of the rim. If I have to I'll have them mounted and then coat them before the install.
    I might go ahead and coat the face of the rims, then the barrels after mount and balance
    Thanks for the insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raysaint View Post
    Maybe they only use the clip-on weights, along the edge of the rim.
    Do tire shops even use clip on weights for non-commercial vehicles any more? I can't say I've seen a clip on weights anywhere for a very, very long time. Many of the wheel designs don't really lend themselves to a having a good place to apply the clip.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Do tire shops even use clip on weights for non-commercial vehicles any more? I can't say I've seen a clip on weights anywhere for a very, very long time. Many of the wheel designs don't really lend themselves to a having a good place to apply the clip.
    Upon a closer look, there are a bunch of adhesive weights in a row on the inside of the barrel, close to the front of the rim. And there's one clip-on on the rear edge of each rim.

Not sure if the dealership balanced them before pickup, or the factory. But with new rubber, chances are weights will have to be added or removed to balance them.

Post Thanks / Like

They generally pull all the old weights before mounting the new tire.

Post Thanks / Like

And for real OCD.....ahem....one preps the wheel before getting new tires installed (if you are fortunate enough to be using a different set of wheels physically on the car). It's my preferred way to get wheels mounted if the opportunity exists

It's alot easier to remove weight, then yellow rubber eraser off the VHB so the tire tech has a perfectly clean wheel to do his thing.....and if he's mounting it right after......the hard part is done. Removing leftover weight sticker after the fact with adhesive remove, plastic scraper, etc is more work that can be avoided if it was done off the car

13. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast