autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gimmie your two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The family I work for has owned the business for 41 years now. With that, you certainly have a "we've been doing this for 40 years" type of mentality. Of course, those 40+ years of experience are well worth having, I guess you don't last that long if you are not doing things right. But, that also brings an our-way-or-the-highway type of attitude, one that can be extremely frustrating to work around.

On one occasion, a new employee was told she was welcome to try new things, that as a business they could benefit from new or fresh ideas. The result ended up being things done differently, but "not how we always do things". So which is it then? Fresh blood and fresh ideas, or do as we say because that's how we always do it.

I'm the sort of person who likes to find different ways to do things, mainly from an efficiency point of view. If I find a way of working that is more efficient and deliveries the same or superior results, then doesn't that make me more productive as an employee? As an employer, why would you waste energy trying to suppress that. In this sort of working environment, I have found the line to be extremely thin when it comes to showing initiative and being unmotivated or lazy. Frankly, sometimes an employer only ever sees their employees as a liability, that they see things from one angle rather than the bigger picture.
    Reading your reply and seeing my 2 previous posts put together like that makes me wonder if what I posted might possibly be misunderstood. Just to clarify, the 1st post was completely hypothetical and in no way was I comparing my real life experience with Bemiss to that. My description of working with him was just me saying that I was willing to put my personal practices aside out of respect for the man who I was working for.

I know sometimes certain thing can be misunderstood over text and wanted to clarify that just in case.Gimmie your two cents.

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What if one of his employees mentioned the idea to him, but instead of giving the new guy some credit for teaching an old dog a new trick he decided to be a prick and force the new guy to do it the hard way, the real way, the way he always had to do it therefore nobody, especially not some young buck is going to have things any easier… You get 1 mitt, use it. It’s called work!
    Because I’m the boss and I said so.

I dunno, kinda seems plausible. Lol.
    I mean I wouldn’t do that, but there’s people who are like that.
    I agree with you. At the same time I’m of the belief and fully understand that old dogs can be hard to change once they’re stuck in their ways.

I’ll tell you a story I don’t think I’ve ever told on this forum.
    Do you know who Derek Bemiss is? He’s Barry Meguiars personal detailer. I worked for him for a brief time several years ago and right from the start I knew from him making it clear enough that he wanted things done in a systematic order and I knew right away without him having to tell me that I better respect that and I did.

That meant that my way of washing cars suddenly didn’t matter while I was “working” because I had the follow his way of doing things, his “system” was the only way even down to how we vacuumed a vehicle, which was done with only a crevice tool and a detail brush for the entire interior. [How that part of it didn’t drive me a little nuts I dunno, because I’m a big of a vacumm freak] lol.

I’ll tell you this though, just before our short time together came to an end I had been banking several ideas that I was going to respectfully bring to the table and at least mention to him to see if he’d be interested in trying.

-1 of them was using multiple mitts. [we had 2 mitts per person and that was the 1st time I had ever used a grit guard as intended. It does work]
    -Another was the introduction of several new vacuum attachments.
    -Another one [and this one was almost shocking] was the fact that he wasn’t familiar with D114 Rinseless Wash Concentrate yet. Like he had literally never used it before even though all products were sponsored by Meguiars for unlimited use. Lol.

I was like dude you have to try this stuff. It’s like APC Lite. I actually did bring a gallon I mixed up to work 1 day for us to test out.
    He did use D115 which is the rinseless wash & wax concentrate. He liked to use that as the finishing touch on glass. Lots of interesting quirks that I’ll never forget.

There were so many interesting ideas I had in mind but out of respect and me being new I didn’t want to rock the boat and changed my ways for the betterment of all and stuck to the system. It was certainly different though. Lol.

Btw the reason it didn’t last was because it was simply too far away and I’m like the worst when it comes to being stuck in traffic for long drives everyday like that. I’ve never done it.
    Reading your reply and seeing my 2 previous posts put together like that makes me wonder if what I posted might possibly be misunderstood. Just to clarify, the 1st post was completely hypothetical and in no way was I comparing my real life experience with Bemiss to that. My description of working with him was just me saying that I was willing to put my personal practices aside out of respect for the man who I was working for.

I know sometimes certain thing can be misunderstood over text and wanted to clarify that just in case.Gimmie your two cents.
    No no, I understood where you were going with those posts and I could sense the respect you had for him. We all have our ways of working, some are more receptive to new ideas or methods than others, I guess we adapt to that in differing ways too.

4. Likes bill walsh, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The DirtLock significantly better than the gritguard for me.

I only two bucket when I use a sponge for rinseless.

I use ONR in the rinse bucket because even though I have better products to touch the paint, I’ve not seen anything encapsulate as well keeping grit at bottom.

I use something else in wash bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never thought of using ONR in the rinse bucket, but it makes sense, thanks. How else was I going to use up the half gallon of ONR I have left, now that I've switched to Ech2o for RW.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

6. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack, DFB liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567