autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripping wheel coating?

So, if I start with a high alkaline cleaner, then Iron-X, then clay, then Eraser, might that be enough.
    The rims are virtually new so no correction is probably necessary. Do I still need polish?
    Or am I still missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Man this got complicated...if it was me I would just wash them and give them a quick rub with a light polish to make sure the previous coating is gone. Do you have any light polish? That mechanical method is the only way to be sure any previous coating is gone.

But if you have IronX and Brakebuster, just use them, IPA wipe, and put your coating on. Do something, you're overthinking this. You don't need a 5-step prep process for basically new wheels, that you have cleaned before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Man this got complicated...if it was me I would just wash them and give them a quick rub with a light polish to make sure the previous coating is gone. Do you have any light polish? That mechanical method is the only way to be sure any previous coating is gone.

But if you have IronX and Brakebuster, just use them, IPA wipe, and put your coating on. Do something, you're overthinking this. You don't need a 5-step prep process for basically new wheels, that you have cleaned before.
    Sorry about that, too many different suggestions, I'll use what I have, I'm sure the coating will adhere fairly well and last until winter.
    Thanks for the reality check.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raysaint View Post
    Sorry about that, too many different suggestions, I'll use what I have, I'm sure the coating will adhere fairly well and last until winter.
    Thanks for the reality check.
    Hey, no apologies necessary, I also get bogged down in...what is it called? Analysis paralysis. It's always easier to solve someone else's problems. I'm also going to be doing some wheel coating sometime soon so I need to decide how I'm going to prep and what coating to use, etc., I'm sure I'll have you beat on agonizing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123