autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripping wheel coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Three differnt washes at 3 different PH

You start with an alkaline wash, then an Acidic, then a ph neutral.

Labocosmetica has a kit

In the case of it not gone after that then a lite polish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds like multiple soap purchases. I'll look into the kit.
    I bought Reflect for the paint correction I have to do, maybe that applied by hand would be enough on the rims?

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    You could also look at Gyeon Total Remover...........................

TOTAL REMOVER - GYEON
    This sounds interesting, I'll do a little research on it. Thanks.

4. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I saw a video and an article about using diluted Brake Buster, to remove most old coatings; waxes/sealants and mild Sio2 coatings. Video showed water sprayed on a door panel, had lots of beading, then sprayed diluted BB, dwell for 30 seconds, then contact wash and rinse; rinse had almost no beading.

So I'm thinking diluted BB on the rims, then Iron-X, then Eraser, should do the trick. The rims only have a coating of 303 spray/rinse sealant, probably a mild strength of Sio2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raysaint View Post
    So, I saw a video and an article about using diluted Brake Buster, to remove most old coatings; waxes/sealants and mild Sio2 coatings. Video showed water sprayed on a door panel, had lots of beading, then sprayed diluted BB, dwell for 30 seconds, then contact wash and rinse; rinse had almost no beading.

So I'm thinking diluted BB on the rims, then Iron-X, then Eraser, should do the trick. The rims only have a coating of 303 spray/rinse sealant, probably a mild strength of Sio2.
    In the article/video you are describing, if it was a wax or sealant, Brake Buster would remove or seriously compromise it. On a ceramic coating, I would question that. Brake Buster does leave a corrosion inhibitor behind, so perhaps that was masking the hydrophobic properties of the coating.

Considering you have a spray sealant on the wheels, Brake Buster will remove that pretty easily. I would actually use it undiluted, dilution will require you to make several passes to do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Stripping wheel coating?

BB has a PH of 10 alkaline but not super high. I use the stuff and personally wouldn’t trust it to remove even a sealant.

You have a lot of great recommendations if you wanna try brake buster from a YouTube recommendation try it…. Let us know how it worked out. I wouldn’t personally.

If somebody from HERE thought it would be way to go I think it would have been posted.

To sum up you Should polish (and clay). Not only to remove spray on coating but also any bonded contaminates and other road film you may have gotten in the. 2 months of winter/fall driving you did.

If you want less work I would take one of the other recommendations here.

Me, I f I felt wheels passed baggy test and looked great I would use a product designed to remove waxes and sealant (what you used was a spray in sealant even if manufacturer calls it a coating).

Like the mentioned Gyeon Remover or Kamikaze KMKZ.

I personally wouldn’t use a YouTube/home remedy/hack but if I did I would use APC over brake buster. I have never heard someone I deem credible to do this.

Any person who takes detailing seriously probably going to recommend polishing b core applying an actual coating.

Before you got your car how long did it sit on lot? In rail yard?

A lot of People who look for easy/cheap way out usually back in 6 months asking why there coating failed……. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To compliment the topic, these 15-year-old wheels were coated with Gyeon Wet Coat or Carpro Hydr02 every second wash. Up until this point, they had never been off the car for heavy decontamination or polishing. In this case, the decon and polish was to prepare the wheels for ceramic coating.

Wheel removed from the vehicle, the tires scrubbed with Carpro ReTyre front and back. The wheels were then cleaned using undiluted Brake Buster and then rinsed. I then followed with a clay bar, using NV Purify which is a combined clay lubricant and iron remover. After another rinse, Carpro TarX was used to remove wheel weight adhesive. Rinsed again, the wheel and tire was dried using a blower.

Each wheel was then polished using Sonax Perfect Finish and/or CutMax.

I then wiped the wheels down using Rupes Reveal Lite, followed by a final wipe using the more aggressive Reveal Strong.

Each wheel was then coated.

Mounted back on the car, tires re-dressed.

That looks like a lot of work.....................and that's because it was. The idea being, effort put into the prep prior to the coating pays off in the long run.

10. Likes Rsurfer, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    BB has a PH of 10 alkaline but not super high. I use the stuff and personally wouldn’t trust it to remove even a sealant.

You have a lot of great recommendations if you wanna try brake buster from a YouTube recommendation try it…. Let us know how it worked out. I wouldn’t personally.

If somebody from HERE thought it would be way to go I think it would have been posted.

To sum up you Should polish (and clay). Not only to remove spray on coating but also any bonded contaminates and other road film you may have gotten in the. 2 months of winter/fall driving you did.

If you want less work I would take one of the other recommendations here.

Me, I f I felt wheels passed baggy test and looked great I would use a product designed to remove waxes and sealant (what you used was a spray in sealant even if manufacturer calls it a coating).

Like the mentioned Gyeon Remover or Kamikaze KMKZ.

I personally wouldn’t use a YouTube/home remedy/hack but if I did I would use APC over brake buster. I have never heard someone I deem credible to do this.

Any person who takes detailing seriously probably going to recommend polishing b core applying an actual coating.

Before you got your car how long did it sit on lot? In rail yard?

A lot of People who look for easy/cheap way out usually back in 6 months asking why there coating failed……. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone
    Lots of good food for thought. I guess trying to not make it gobs of work is nice if you can. Without buying a special machine, I could clay and polish by hand, lots of small spaces to work around though.
    And your APC comment, I read that some of those will strip sealants. Or the Gyeon remove all, but I'd still have to iron-X (which I have) and clay and polish? Doesn't polishing do both? Or does clay remove stuff polish won't?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    To compliment the topic, these 15-year-old wheels were coated with Gyeon Wet Coat or Carpro Hydr02 every second wash. Up until this point, they had never been off the car for heavy decontamination or polishing. In this case, the decon and polish was to prepare the wheels for ceramic coating.

Wheel removed from the vehicle, the tires scrubbed with Carpro ReTyre front and back. The wheels were then cleaned using undiluted Brake Buster and then rinsed. I then followed with a clay bar, using NV Purify which is a combined clay lubricant and iron remover. After another rinse, Carpro TarX was used to remove wheel weight adhesive. Rinsed again, the wheel and tire was dried using a blower.

Each wheel was then polished using Sonax Perfect Finish and/or CutMax.

I then wiped the wheels down using Rupes Reveal Lite, followed by a final wipe using the more aggressive Reveal Strong.

Each wheel was then coated.

Mounted back on the car, tires re-dressed.

That looks like a lot of work.....................and that's because it was. The idea being, effort put into the prep prior to the coating pays off in the long run.
    kudos to your effort and dedication. The NV sounds interesting. I'm hoping a hand polish would be enough to remove what's left after a good cleaning and chemical decon. I have lots of foam hand pads and Carpro Reflect. Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good food for thought. I guess trying to not make it gobs of work is nice if you can. Without buying a special machine, I could clay and polish by hand, lots of small spaces to work around though.
    And your APC comment, I read that some of those will strip sealants. Or the Gyeon remove all, but I'd still have to iron-X (which I have) and clay and polish? Doesn't polishing do both? Or does clay remove stuff polish won't?
    I’m not today’s wiled most try to remove all bonded contaminants before polishing. Polishing should only be affecting paint.

Imagine if you got something small and sharp and swirled it all over paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever you move above or below pH neutral (7.0 - 7.5), you increase the cleaning ability of the product. APC's high pH products, usually beyond pH 11. So yes, using one will help remove weaker existing waxes and sealants.

Iron removers are usually slightly acidic to pH neutral, so they don't have much stripping ability. An iron remover is all about chemically dissolving imbedded iron particles, something wheels are subjected to in high quantity....................unless you have carbon ceramic rotors. The clay bar then grabs any remaining contamination.

Polish can remove contamination, but you really don't want that contamination within your polishing pad and causing more scratches or not achieving the results you may have hoped for.

kudos to your effort and dedication. The NV sounds interesting. I'm hoping a hand polish would be enough to remove what's left after a good cleaning and chemical decon. I have lots of foam hand pads and Carpro Reflect. Your thoughts?
    Carpro Reflect is a fantastic product which I love because it doesn't dust and is super easy to wipe off. Using Reflect by hand will be fine. It doesn't have a lot of correction ability though, but it will deliver a boost in gloss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast