autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What makes MF get a bit crunchy over time

For my Wash buckets, it's really just rotation of TRC Cyclone Mitt or the XL Pad. I use the pad way more than the mitt but the mitt still feels like new. My issue with the MF is the pads....Pads are used on bodies, mitt is uses on door mirrors, door cups, sills, trim, gril, etc. But all have seen some sort of use during any wash. Pads being used for at least 80% of the body.

I presume it's the same material as the mitt,..but there is a noticeable difference on the fiber softness. Well, noticeable to ask

I need to look at these closer. When I just typed in same material ....maybe it's not the same density, long, short piles, etc....
    The pads aren't Brillo but they don't feel supple

Post Thanks / Like

What makes MF get a bit crunchy over time

As far as wash media, I’ve been using my current batch of around 16 mitts[I actually have about 20, but only 16 fit in the bucket] for about 5yrs. some of them are even older.

But as I’m sitting here next to a couple of stacks of microfiber towels that I just washed it’s evident that microfiber doesn’t stay soft forever. So just like this left stack of towels is strictly for interior use, while the right stack is what I deem paint worthy, why wouldn’t the same apply to wash mitts? The point is maybe it’s not a bad idea to buy a new batch of wash mitts after a few years.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not in disagreement MF ages over time....

Well, given the frequency of how I use them, maybe I'm aging them quicker...
    But the mitts is still just as supple as it was 19-20 months ago when they removed out of the packaging.
    Heh, maybe it's the shampoo that is drying out the towels.
    I gotta say, my hands are sometimes dry to the point I borrow some lotion from the wifeys stash and it's always after washing the cars..

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get dry hands from washing too but I found my regular use of the foam gun has eliminated that
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D - Isn't your method just as much as a contact wash and exposure to skin/shampoo just the same...
    For me, which I think we've discussed, while I don't do rinse less and I need plenty of water....I could never get the method of foam fun in hand and running a mitt down the panel.
    Just too cumbersome with my 3/4" Hose that is Uber thick and almost as heavy and thick as a 1" hose. I would probably cause more damage having the hose touch the panel for the umteeth time doing your wash style

Post Thanks / Like

i always rinse and squeeze out my wash mitt with water for any residual car shampoo after i'm done using them. sometimes the same mitt/microfiber towels can vary from batch to batch and degrade quicker than others (it happens). if you have done everything possible to try and remedy them with no favorable results, demote them to less sensitive areas or use it around the house and toss it. if i get a year of use out of a wash mitt that's fair. it's not worth the risk to keep using them and have to spend hours to undo (polishing) the damage (marring). nothing lasts forever, it is what it is...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    What are you washing with?

I always wash my MFs on cold with something like Rags to Riches to help breakdown any sealants and prevent them from becoming hydrophobic. If they’re really dirty I’ll use a free and clear detergent and dry on low heat or air dry. It’s my understanding that drying with high heat causes the fibers to melt which leads to the crunchiness.
    Not to many dryers will get hot enough to melt the polyamide (the nylon/plastic) in MF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah agree with [mention]Eldorado2k [/mention]. Hang drying my mitts make them feel crunchy.

I wash on warm as warmer the water helps break down sealants/waxes/polishes. Not afraid to use wal hot if needed. 2 rinse cycles.

I dry on low/medium/ high depending on size of load for 10/15 min and then hang dry. My MF feels much softer when I do this.

I’ve been doing this on same batch of towels I’ve been using since 2019. The all are still great.

I feel bad for my stock pile of new ones just siding their in their hoarder pile. I hope MF doesn’t go bad…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

I feel bad for my stock pile of new ones just siding their in their hoarder pile. I hope MF doesn’t go bad…
    If I understand you correctly, you shouldn’t have a problem. I sometimes mistake heavily soiled waterless wash towels for interior towels and a few of them mistakenly get washed in that load, but when they come out of the dryer it’s very easy to tell they don’t belong with the interior batch because they still look & feel like new towels and go back to the good stack.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What microfiber detergent are you using?

When I switched over to Rags to Riches, I noticed my older microfiber towels and mitts become much softer after being treated with RTR. Some of those towels were on the brink of being thrown away. RTR is also keeping them soft.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast