autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Utility truck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Utility truck

Hello, I have an enclosed utility truck and the box is not very shiny. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how I can restore the shine. I believe it's powder coated aluminum but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Utility truck

Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Utility truck

I detailed this a couple of weeks ago.

This 1 last week.

And today I’m in the middle of detailing this 1.

Is it similar? I started with Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream which is basically a AIO. I chose that because it cleans and it’s easy to wipe off whereas using a normal compound on this type of surface can sometimes dry up too fast and become a PITA to wipe off.

However there have been a few areas where I needed more cutting power in order to restore shine and I used Meguiars D300 w/ a Yellow Lake Country Flat Foam Cutting pad and it worked great and wiped off easy.

I used Mckee’s Deep Gloss Ceramic Paint Sealant as lsp because otherwise I’d probably never use it + I’m not using my better lsp on these trucks. Lol.

4. Likes bill walsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was there good money doing that, Eldo? I know some members used to get contracts doing fleet work sometimes and my recollection was it was pretty good. Not that it looks like you were doing a whole fleet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Was there good money doing that, Eldo? I know some members used to get contracts doing fleet work sometimes and my recollection was it was pretty good. Not that it looks like you were doing a whole fleet.
    The 1st one showed up in really good condition so it really just got a glorified wash + sealant. I only charged $150

The 2nd one was also pretty clean but he did want it polished so I gave it a quick polish which on white paint in good condition really means a quick polish not even really having to inspect for swirl correction. I charged $250. Also keep in mind I pretty much had to do nothing to the truck bed.

This current one is a big boy truck but in reality there’s nearly nothing that I actually really have to do with it. I’ve already polished the front cab which has normal paint in good condition.

The rear of it is going to get a quick polish that based on the test spot isn’t really going to make any noticeable difference because it’s already in good condition. I’m going to make the black plastic handles on the utility doors look real good. I’ve already cleaned them with APC & brush along with the plastic trim on the front bumper & windshield cowl + the side mirrors. Topped the trim off with McKee’s Plastic Trim Restorer and it turned out looking really good. But other than that I’m having a hard time finding where the money is to be made on this otherwise huge truck.

I’m too honest to charge alot simply because it’s large. I charge for what I do and I’m kinda having a hard time coming up with a price for this one at the moment. I’m sure it’ll figure itself out + I’m not in a hurry because it rained today so it’s not getting picked up today.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Pictures?
    Yes here are some it's similar to the 2nd one you did the box is kinda dull and keeps showing hand prints on the doors which don't come off easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Utility truck-20240220_135542-jpg