autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FJ cruiser white single stage paint?

Looking for some advice on a FJ cruiser paint correction. Most of what I am reading online says the white FJ is a single stage paint. Some others say it was just the roof top that was single stage.

The white does not look that bad but I can tell it has no protection on it. I just purchased it and the guy said he always washed it with Dawn. The top use to be white but he had it painted black. As seen in the picture this is the spot that needs the most work. The odd thing is the other side of the FJ does not have these spots. Maybe this side received more sun and without protection it is starting to fail.

Any advice or suggestions? Product recommendations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FJ cruiser white single stage paint?-3c69c3dc-84bb-40ea-9c82-cd7782c88fe9-jpg   FJ cruiser white single stage paint?-ab3ee4b8-e5c2-44c8-bcd1-de7514bc2cac-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FJ cruiser white single stage paint?

There's always been a bit of contention online about whether white FJs have clear coat or not. I can definitely say that my roof doesn't, but my silver paint everywhere else does. The few times I've polished the roof, I've had white residue left on the pads after, and the two all white FJs I've seen close up did not appear to have clear coat, one was starting to look a bit chalky actually. The white paint on my roof feels thick, you can actually feel a lip where it appears to sit on top of the silver.

I most recently polished the roof back in June, using Carpro Essence which I was very happy with. Essence calls itself a "versatile extreme gloss primer", that "Primes surfaces for C.Quartz or Reload". But I wasn't going with either of them, I layered NV Lustre and Jet. It lasted 5-6 months on my FJs roof and it's parked outside 24/7. I'm due for a reapplication now, and this time I'll probably do the silver paint as well, at the time Lustre and Jet were applied to the roof, I'd only recently applied Collinite 845 to the silver paint, and I didn't feel like removing it. Now that all protection is gone, accept for whatever is left by doing rinseless washes with Carpro Ech2o, it's time to pull it back inside and use Essence on the silver paint. I've previously used it on a dark blue Nissan Qashqai as well, with excellent results, so I know it works on any colour. With that combo on my FJs roof, it came up as glossy as I've ever seen it, see below.

As for the blemishes on the black roof, it's hard to tell from the picture, it could be like you surmised, lack of protection and too much sun, or maybe the section wasn't prepped correctly before it was painted, either isn't great.

Nice FJ by the way, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, I'll have had it 8 years this April.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FJ cruiser white single stage paint?

Thanks for your comments and your FJ looks awesome. I went by a couple of body shops today and the black roof is definitely a clear coat failure. Now I have to decide if I should wrap it, line-x, or repaint. I did get a quote to paint it and it was about $1500.
    I have used the collinite 845 several times on my other trucks. I will have to look into the Lustre and Jet. 5-6 months is a good amount of protection for the roof.

4. Likes Big Dave liked this post