autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brown tires - can't fix

Awesome and Tarminator may be the two heavy hitters.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

2. Likes DFB, Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have browning appear after repeated cleanings, one after the other or having it return quickly, you are not only stripping off the dirt and grime, but also the anti-ozone and UV protectants within the rubber itself. Continue slamming the sidewall with aggressive degreasers and that has the effect of speeding up the rate of decline, and make the browning come back sooner. Some tires are more prone to this than others, and owing to the fact those tyres have a large sidewall surface, you have a larger area for these substances to rise to up to.

Naturally, you can keep hitting them with cleaners, but it's a law of diminishing returns. I would clean twice, maybe three times at the most, then dress them and call it good.

4. Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I posted previously, the issue isn't TIRE CLEANING. It isn't about using a specific tire brush or this brand or that brand tire cleaner.

It has to do with the rubber compound formulation.

I've personally experienced this years ago when we had our minivan. OEM Yoko tires. This brown appearance NEVER went away despite the tire being regularly scrubbed clean.

I just had to live with it. And sadly, so will you.

this is a clean tire (white foam) and just rinsed with water

6. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Colorbond spray might work on discolored tires

Post Thanks / Like

Brown tires - can't fix

Agreed with it may just be your tire compound.

But if you wanna give one final effort nothing cleans a tire better, faster and easier than a drill brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used a different Mother's product, their Wheel and Tire Cleaner, and found it to do a really good job on knocking out the browning. Surprisingly so.

At the time I was using Maguire's Hot Shine Tire Dressing and it would brown a tire in a heartbeat. Nothing I did would remove the brown until I tried the Mothers totally by accident. First application the brown ran right off in rivers of nasty brown foam. Two application of the stuff and moving to a different dressing eliminated the problem.

EDIT: It's a pretty strong product, so just be careful with it if you use it. I'd wear gloves and not let it sit on the wheels too long.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's funny how some tire compounds are more prone to browning (I have found winter tires and the "snowflakes-on-the-mountain" all-seasons to be especially prone), and how some dressings also promote browning (especially the oil-based ones as Desertnate noted above). I think it was also mentioned that caustic cleaners also seem to pull the ozonant (which is what causes the browning) out of the rubber, creating a vicious circle.

11. Likes Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm to the point now where I'll clean them 2 or 3 times, apply the dressing and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, back when I had more energy and was washing every week, I would just wash the tire, and if it was still kinda brown looking, I would just dress it over the browning which would usually look ok until the next wash, depending on the rain. Of course winter they would get pretty brown looking. I coated the tires on one car back a few months ago, so they are holding up well this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found off-road tyres just keep browning up no matter how much you clean them. I've used what is regarded as a good tyre cleaner, TWHS Hyper Foam, for a while now, and I used to go 2 or 3 times in a row and still get brown coming off them, in smaller amounts each time, but still enough that I could keep going at it. I think, as stated earlier, it could be in the compound, and that compound is related to the purpose, and size, of off-road rubber. I now only go over them once, to remove any external contamination, then dress them if I feel like it. The below pic is the inside of a Yokohama G015 off my FJ Cruiser. They've never been cleaned, and never been dressed, I had them off for a rotation, so I thought why not clean them. I didn't dress the inside, that would have been a step too silly for me, but I did do the outside, because they looked like they needed it. It's a personal thing, but I think off-road vehicles look silly with super glossy dressed tyres, I like a natural clean rubber look, which is hard to get with all the brown showing up as the tyres age.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

15. Likes DFB liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast