autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your opinion on the best approach to this '17 Tahoe hood?

We have a '17 Tahoe that's black and the hood has started to look questionable. Before I go further, I have actually done a full paint correction on a black Corvette, and you can read about and see the whole process where I detailed it here on this forum: First shot at fixing the black Vette

This Tahoe is my wife's and it does not get washed and taken care of like we know it should. It is a daily driver and it gets run through an auto car wash (touch) occasionally. That said, I know all the reasons why we should not be doing that, but life gets in the way and here we are.

Anyway, I have started to notice a slight haze on the hood paint, almost like cloudy effects and of course swirls -which you can see in the picture (excuse the cat paw tracks. I know how to polish it out and correct it, but before I do that I just want to be sure that the clear is not actually failing (what might be causing the cloudy effect. It's hard to get it on camera, but you can see it under fluorescent lighting or the low afternoon sun.

I don't want to spend the time correcting the paint and polishing it out if the paint is actually failing. In my experience, this only makes that failing process happen that much faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your opinion on the best approach to this '17 Tahoe hood?

That does look like the clear is starting to fail. Can you polish a small spot and see what happens? If you use something mild and it looks better but still with the swirls, then at least you will know the clear isn't failing. Just make sure you wipe it with some IPA after to make sure any polishing oils don't fool you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That does look like the clear is starting to fail. Can you polish a small spot and see what happens? If you use something mild and it looks better but still with the swirls, then at least you will know the clear isn't failing. Just make sure you wipe it with some IPA after to make sure any polishing oils don't fool you.
    I guess I need to know, how would I be able to tell after polishing if it is trying to fail?

Post Thanks / Like

If that haziness clears up after polishing, I would think it's ok. That paint looks pretty hammered, so it's hard to tell in the picture if the clear is failing or if it's just...hammered. That thread you linked was a long one, but it sounded like you have a PC and orange pads and some swirl removers--can you try a spot, say, on the edge of the hood, like at the left of picture and see how it improves?

Post Thanks / Like

That hood looks like it needs some serious work but considering the level of damage I'd suspect that the clear is pretty thin. If you can find a detail shop it may be worth it to drop by and see if they can do a paint depth measurement and see if polishing should even be an option.

Post Thanks / Like

How often is the vehicle washed?

I wonder if the cloudiness is due to embedded dirt/grime/pollutants. Whenever I've started work on a neglected car I've noticed progressive improvements in the clarity of the paint starting with claying and then obviously through polishing. Both steps are key to removing the "gunk" embedded in the paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    How often is the vehicle washed?

I wonder if the cloudiness is due to embedded dirt/grime/pollutants. Whenever I've started work on a neglected car I've noticed progressive improvements in the clarity of the paint starting with claying and then obviously through polishing. Both steps are key to removing the "gunk" embedded in the paint.
    It doesn't get washed often enough. Like I said, it is no excuse but life just gets in the way - hence the reason for automatic car washes.

I took a closer look yesterday with it outside of the garage. Crazy but there are some scratches there deep enough to catch a nail. I will try to work on a spot as soon as I get a chance.

If nothing else, this ought to be living proof that touch automatic car washes have embedded dirt in the bristles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    It doesn't get washed often enough. Like I said, it is no excuse but life just gets in the way - hence the reason for automatic car washes.
    No judgement here, I get it. It does need a good polishing and I think you'd see some pretty remarkable results, even if it doesn't get the paint 100% perfect. In fact, based on what you've shared, I wouldn't even try for perfection. Going in with a goal of "make it look better" would be perfectly reasonable.

Since it does only see automated washes, it never gets totally clean. Once you commit to polishing out the whole vehicle, I'd highly recommend you clay first. I'd be shocked if you didn't see results even from claying. Each time I've bought a used car and detailed it for the first time, I've been pretty impressed with the visable change in the paint from just that step. It doesn't correct any of the swirls, but simply removing some of the imbedded grime does wonders.

If nothing else, this ought to be living proof that touch automatic car washes have embedded dirt in the bristles.
    The bristles and those cloth strips too. We have quite a few automated car washes in my area and I feel sorry for all the people lined up behind the truck or jeep that's covered in dirt and mud. You know all that stuff will gum up everything in that car wash and turn them into sandpaper for many cars afterwards.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I feel sorry for all the people lined up behind the truck or jeep that's covered in dirt and mud. You know all that stuff will gum up everything in that car wash and turn them into sandpaper for many cars afterwards.
    I used to feel sorry for those people but I no longer do. Even after working on cars and correcting them I’ll show the customer what those automatic washes are doing with before/after pics and they go right back to it. Sometimes they tell me they just don’t have time to wash it themselves and I don’t buy that anymore. Every time I go to the gym I see cars lined up to the point that they are spilling over into the road just to get a cheap wash. I’ve offered to have customers come back and go through the process of a quick RW that will get their car clean and protected in a fraction of the time they sit in line at an automated wash. Not a single one has take me up on that offer. Most people want cheap and easy when it comes to car maintenance and this is the result.

11. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct that hood! Should come out great! I see some heavy swirls, but it should turn out great! Keep us posted please!

***and as always, the least aggressive method first applies***
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast