autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Is a Ceramic Coating Still Needed if Tec 582 Applied Frequently?

I came across an interesting question on an online car owner's forum and thought I would run the question by everyone here.

A friend on the forum asked, is a professionally installed ceramic coating still needed if the person washes their car weekly and applies TEC 582 2-3 times a month? He says sometimes he applies it dry and sometimes as a drying aid.

I told him that the professional coating installation may include paint decontamination and machine polishing, which would improve and enhance the look of the paint. He said his paint is in great condition, no swirls or scratches, so he feels polishing isn't really needed.

I assume a ceramic coating would give a much more glossy appearance compared to the look of TEC 582 alone. That said, if TEC 582 is applied 2-3 times a month, would a ceramic coating still be worth the extra expense or is frequent application of TEC 582 "good enough"?

Thank you,
    Joe

2. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is a Ceramic Coating Still Needed if Tec 582 Applied Frequently?

Don’t absolutely need to wear underwear but if you’re rushing home from a questionable meal at Taco Bell, the extra protection might be handy :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A true coating will probably have a better look and definitely will keep it cleaner than 2-4 coats of twc582. It is a detail spray.

The ceramics c coating is like washing your pits (car will come cleaner in wash) vs wondering if not washing your pits is OK if you use a lot of deodorant.

Ask him if you need to brush your teeth if you chew Denteen and gargle twice a day?

Him washing his car (if done properly) is the biggest thing to do.

That TeC 582 won’t do what a coating does but will offer protection apples that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what the guy wants out of paint protection. Detail sprays provide light protection and have low chemical resistance as opposed to a coating. Road salts, bird bombs, or any other harsh chemical your paint may come in contact with will probably eat right through 582 nor would it survive a wash with a high pH soap or an acidic one. It also won't give him the ease of cleaning that comes with a quality coating. If he's happy with light protection and decent hydrophobic tell him to carry on.

8. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    It depends on what the guy wants out of paint protection. Detail sprays provide light protection and have low chemical resistance as opposed to a coating. Road salts, bird bombs, or any other harsh chemical your paint may come in contact with will probably eat right through 582 nor would it survive a wash with a high pH soap or an acidic one. It also won't give him the ease of cleaning that comes with a quality coating. If he's happy with light protection and decent hydrophobic tell him to carry on.
    Exactly what I was thinking. The chemical resistance alone is a huge benefit of the high solids coating over a detail spray.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes joebruin77 liked this post