autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your wash Frequency when Blacktop Looks like WhiteTop

Having one those -thinking- about it moments

I can wash the car today since it's going to be above freezing later on today and hopefully whatever residual water won't be a ice rink tomorrow...

It's kinda pointless as the minute I take the 1st drive, it will be dusted with salt and sand and the chassis will be just as dirty as it was before.
    The only benefit I see is just to see clean paint until I pull it out of the garage.
    I don't have salt on our grounds but it's all in the air ....so will look dusted with everything all residual airborne.
    e

Ha, so riddle me this. What's your washing frequency in your winter conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your wash Frequency when Blacktop Looks like WhiteTop

For me it's weather dependent, but I honestly don't get too worried. If there is a day above freezing, I'll run the vehicles through our local touchless. It's winter, roads get messy, and I just deal with them not looking very good for a while. This time of year, I'm much more concerned about getting the salt off than I am appearance and fully realize the car may get dirty again as soon as I pull out of the touchless bay.

Our cars will often turn white as we wait for the weather to warm up. When the ground turns white with salt the airborne salt dust isn't that big of a deal to me. The big issue is the next snow or rain that softens the salt on the ground and the stuff ends up spraying all over the place. The cars get a really heavy crust and I'll try to wash it off as soon as possible, but again all weather dependent.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

During the winter, I would frequently visit those "wash your car yourself" places and spray off the car, underbody, and wheel wells. All those have closed down where I live, so I've been ridin' salty lol. The only time I'll get the hose out now is if it's approaching 45°F outside. Before the pandemic and the bank rates shot up, I was planning to have a new garage built and was going to heat it and add water so I could keep my pressure washer setup and at the ready. Not sure when that'll happen now.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do WW/RW so washing inside is out of the equation.

Salt doesn't sleep. Whether it's dry, wet. 10F, 50F.
    With this new undercarriage wand, it's giving me more of a motivation to wash more often in the winter than I probably should as such...

5. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do a full foam gun/bucket wash only when temps are above freezing. And at this point that looks like it's going to be awhile...
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished my wash. Blow drying it did create some ice beads, but whatever. The paint is clean and shiny for a hot minute, and at least I've done a -de saltification- process.

Neighbors probably think I'm nutz.
    I wasn't feeling the brisk but it must have been brisky. I had to go inside and grab hot water to pour on my QC connects as it was all frozen to the hose and wands

Maybe next time it will be dirty enough for my maiden voyage to break out the BH Auto/Touchless to test

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when I lived up north running a hose from the indoor utility sink out to the driveway to wash the car. I salted down the driveway thoroughly when I was done and the driveway didn’t get too treacherous to walk on. I don’t miss those days one bit.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. Just for good measure and OCD practice, I've been usingthe same tools for irrigation used and I blow out both the GH and PW Hose so it's purged empty ready for the next time.
    It's amazing that even though you roll it up, and hold it high, thinking it's all gravity drained, how much water remain in the hoses