autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove tape adhesive from PPF?

I successfully installed a carbon fiber spoiler on my car. The installation instructions said to place a few pieces of tape over the spoiler to hold the spoiler in place for 72 hours until the adhesive tape cures, which I did.

I used duct tape, like the instructional video suggested. The problem is that after I removed the 5-6 pieces of duct tape, there is a small amount of tape adhesive still on the car, which is covered in Xpel PPF. I tried using both Xpel PPF Cleanser and an IPA wipe to remove the adhesive, but some small pieces of adhesive are still there.

Any suggestions on how I can completely remove the remaining adhesive without damaging the PPF? I did a bit of research and came across Goo Gone, Goo Off, and 3M Adhesive Remover. But I have no idea if these products are safe to use on PPF. I am guessing that Goo Off is too caustic and is likely to damage the PPF. But I really don't know.

Any suggestions from those of you who have successfully removed adhesive from PPF without damaging it are welcome.

Thanks!
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove tape adhesive from PPF?

Quick update - I think I answered my own question.

A bit later in the day after I posted my question, I remembered an old post by Mike Phillips on his suggestion to remove tree sap. Per Mike's original recommendation, I placed some alcohol-based hand sanitizer on the spots of adhesive. I applied it on cool paint, out of the sun, and let it dwell for 5 minutes. I then rubbed off the hand sanitizer and the adhesive using a clean microfiber. I had to do the process twice, but it worked really well. My new spoiler and my PPF are both adhesive free.

For future reference, if I have to remove adhesive in the future and the hand sanitizer does not work, is it safe and effective to use Goo Gone, Goo Off, or 3M Adhesive Remover on car paint and on PPF?

Thanks!
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    For future reference, if I have to remove adhesive in the future and the hand sanitizer does not work, is it safe and effective to use Goo Gone, Goo Off, or 3M Adhesive Remover on car paint and on PPF?

Thanks!
    Joe
    I think Ammo NYC has a video -- A video on touch up paint with a Subaru maybe -- where he uses Goof off and talks about this for a few seconds. I believe he said on newer cars it should be okay, but you should still take care etc.

Also, Griots Garage used to sell an adhesive remover. I imagine that would be safe/effective, but it is no longer available so perhaps not

4. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d use a tar remover. Gyeon Tar is ph neutral so should be good to go. Works on bare aluminum which is one of the finickiest surfaces around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay clear of Good Off!

We tend to use the Goo Gone.

I keep Optimum T.A.R. on my cart though.

8. Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I keep Optimum T.A.R. on my cart though.
    I was looking at the SDS for that product when I almost posted in this thread yesterday, it's 96-98% soybean oil, and 1-2% tall oil, which is a fatty acid derived from wood pulp, and then 1-2% other things which seem to be stabilizers and fragrances. I just thought it was interesting that it was mostly soybean oil, I don't know what's in the Goo products.

10. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes joebruin77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I was looking at the SDS for that product when I almost posted in this thread yesterday, it's 96-98% soybean oil, and 1-2% tall oil, which is a fatty acid derived from wood pulp, and then 1-2% other things which seem to be stabilizers and fragrances. I just thought it was interesting that it was mostly soybean oil, I don't know what's in the Goo products.
    The Goo Gone is citrus based if I remember correctly.

Goof Off is probably something much stronger. We've had that stuff do some damage on some very expensive vehicles.

I actually like the way T.A.R. smells.

12. Likes joebruin77 liked this post