autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the days - Iron Removers

In reading the recent iron/clay thread, can someone help me on the -wayback- machine.

Eon's ago, before the plethora of iron decon. stuff that exists these days, was IronX and Sonax the only guys offer some variant of thioglycolate mix out there.
    There is a plethora of said options these days, just trying to recall if these 2 were the OG that started it all

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back in the days - Iron Removers

That's the way I remember it, the first wheel cleaner that came to forum attention was the Sonax Full Effect. Somewhere around the same time came Iron X for use on the whole vehicle.

I know Carlack had a thioglycolate wheel cleaner that Jeff's Werkstatt was selling for a while, who knows which came first in Europe. BTW the active ingredient was invented for hair perm and has been used for decades industrially as a rust remover before someone discovered that crazy car detailers would pay a lot of money to watch it turn red, instead of using cheaper acids that dissolve iron without a color change.

3. Likes Optimus Grime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    BTW the active ingredient was invented for hair perm and has been used for decades industrially as a rust remover before someone discovered that crazy car detailers would pay a lot of money to watch it turn red, instead of using cheaper acids that dissolve iron without a color change.
    It’s quite interesting that you mentioned this. This weekend, for reasons unbeknownst to me, a couple of videos about P&S Crystal Wash were in my YouTube recommendations. It was invented about 25 years ago as a fallout and industrial decontamination spray that crystallizes on the surface instead of turning purple but is making its way back into the mainstream. It’s about $25 a gallon vs. the $80+ you’ll pay for a good fallout remover. It may work just as good as the modern crop of fallout removers but since Crystal Wash doesn’t turn purple I don’t trust it. Consider me another victim of masterful detailing marketing.

Post Thanks / Like

The only decontamination products I have experience with is the Valugard ABC system. I got it in the days when it was easier and more straightforward to get. I haven’t purchased more since because a gallon of each product goes a long way for an enthusiast. My understanding is if one wants to purchase it now, they have to call Valugard directly and ask for it
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used plenty of ABC back in the days. Too bad one couldn't order A/B as I don't see C. Iron Decon and CarPro Descale is my heavy rotation . Coatings have come along such a long way I'm nowhere using Iron cleaners on my wheels as back when Purple was cool to see on almost every wash cycle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Grime View Post
    a couple of videos about P&S Crystal Wash were in my YouTube recommendations. It was invented about 25 years ago as a fallout and industrial decontamination spray that crystallizes on the surface
    I think the "crystallization" is just a bunch of marketing hooey, I'd bet that if you let any acid-based cleaner dry on the surface it would do that.

PS Because someone linked a video of the Stoner Odorless Iron Remover, I also was getting YouTube recs that led me to a video of that Crystal Wash, which led me to the P&S website...which was a bit...Chemical Guys-ish. Seemed like a lot of products that did the same thing, with different marketing themes, off-road, different "famous" detailers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The only decontamination products I have experience with is the Valugard ABC system. I got it in the days when it was easier and more straightforward to get.
    I have the Valugard Custom Wheel Cleaner, which IIRC is oxalic acid based, like the Crystal Wash. I usually like to use it when wheels are off the car (when I'm rotating tires) to clean the indented back of the spokes where the angled Wheel Woolie doesn't get in, but the last couple of times I went to use it I keep forgetting the sprayer doesn't work, I need to find a sprayer. As you found with the ABC, I had gotten the Custom Wheel Cleaner in a 16oz spray and a gallon refill back in the days of the Valugard online store; now you can only get it in 5 gal pails by ordering on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I am an avid user of Brake Buster and have quite a few interior cleaning products but I do have to admit that this does look a bit cheesy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you go, JTC! Whoever that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yeah, you go, JTC! Whoever that is.
    Jamie the Cleaner. YouTube detailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk