autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Graphene Coating Attracting Dust Issues?

Question for anyone ever had this issue before be it from Ceramic or Graphene Coatings.

First of all, I've been applying ceramic coatings since 2015, tried the best brands in the business, and multiple Autogeek sponsored ceramic products and never had any issues or whatsoever.
    That is until a month ago I traveled to Wyoming from Colorado to do a red Ford Raptor. This weekend the owner contacted me to tell me every time he washes the Raptor it attracts dust.
    I told him I've never run into that issue before, but I will do my due diligence by calling the manufacturer and checking reviews online. I did not find any evidence of anybody having this issue with the product. He didn't seem to be convinced or happy with my findings.
    I told him I was going to give him his money back and to fix the problem I'll be buffing the Graphene off. So basically, he will get his truck back polished but no protection. Better looking than what I first got from him.
    I do this as a hobby, been doing this since 2005, and when I run into liability issues like this, it's time to hang it up, and just stick with my regulars or close friends.

Now that my ranting is over; has any of you had issues with a product attracting dust? BTW, I never had this issue with this particular brand, it's one of my favorites, durable, and my customers rave about it.
    -Goose
    2007 Avus Silver Audi RS4
    2018 Black Redline Edition Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Graphene Coating Attracting Dust Issues?

I’ve only had carnaubas attract dust and for me it’s nothing a little QD can’t solve.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

So, what coating did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’ve only had carnaubas attract dust and for me it’s nothing a little QD can’t solve.
    Yeah, I've had that happened to me.
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    So, what coating did you use?
    I pm'd you.
    -Goose

6. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you’re not wanting to bad mouth the brand but with no point of reference opinions on random other products kinda moot.

Best I can say is try another Graphene product.

I haven’t heard of graphene in general being dust magnets so it’s either that particular product, that particular brand, the guys a liar or most likely just the dust in his particular environment not gelling with that particular product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I know you’re not wanting to bad mouth the brand but with no point of reference opinions on random other products kinda moot.

Best I can say is try another Graphene product.

I haven’t heard of graphene in general being dust magnets so it’s either that particular product, that particular brand, the guys a liar or most likely just the dust in his particular environment not gelling with that particular product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s not about bad mouthing the product. In fact it’s my favorite ceramic coating and I’d put it head to head against any coating / graphene in the market.
    Ceramic
    or Grapgene are not reactive once it has totally cured. I haven’t seen the truck in person to make a judgment on the dust pattern whether it’s just driving around dusting areas or it’s attracting dust in a static manner.
    I don’t want to argue with the customer, I use the product all the time, and lots of other like, and I can say once cured coatings don’t remain reactive.
    The first 3-4 days after its application are critical. That’s when you don’t want to expose the finish to the elements because of the potential for permanent water spots and the interruption of the curing process. I explained that to the customer and I’m sure he’s smart enough to understand.
    All I wanted to know is what I already knew. This just doesn’t happen with coatings, and it looks like you guys agree. I’m already determined to give him his money back and I would also buff the paint out to remove the coating and call it good.
    He’s been raving about how amazing the truck looks, and like I say, this product comes in both regular ceramic and graphene, and the results are stunning, just like all my other customers and this particular customer are also saying.
    Whatever the reason is, I want to prove the coating is not to blame.
    I know he has a big ass wi-fi booster antenna set-up installed in the back of his truck. He works in the oil fields of Wyoming and North Dakota and who knows what else he has in there. It’s not like this truck is a garage queen, but it’s a nice Raptor after all.
    -Goose

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in the other thread started with the same name for what it's worth. I too have only seen noticeable dusting issues with sealants and waxes, not the 6 coatings I've tried.

Before going too far, I'd consider the environment. If there is dust and dirt in the air because it is windy and the farm fields have been havested/turned, then dust will land on the vehicle. Nothing can prevent that other than keeping the vehicle indoors all the time. At certian times of the year, I've watched pollen, dust, or even tiny bits of debris from the crops being harvested collect on my cars while I'm drying them! It's frustrating, but impossible to avoid.

The difference, in my experience, between a coated and a sealed/waxed vehicle is how easily the dust is removed. A light layer may partially blow off or get rinsed off by a light rain or snow. Heavier accumulations come off almost effortlessly with a quick wash.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I think there’s a big misconception about the protection properties of the ceramic coatings in general. I hear people saying that it should protect your car from scratches and swirls, like a bullet proof product. It does offer a degree of protection never seen before, but we must guard from misrepresenting the product where it may create false expectations. This is what I think this particular customer’s point of contention might be.

The product in question here is the EPIC ® PRO + CERAMIC COATING WITH GRAPHENE SINGLE USE KIT
    I know that back in the days, this forum would frown upon bringing up products not currently supported by AG, that’s why I was refraining from posting the name, and not because I was bad mouthing the product; to the contrary, it’s an awesome coating in my opinion.
    -Goose

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I posted this in the other thread started with the same name for what it's worth. I too have only seen noticeable dusting issues with sealants and waxes, not the 6 coatings I've tried.

Before going too far, I'd consider the environment. If there is dust and dirt in the air because it is windy and the farm fields have been havested/turned, then dust will land on the vehicle. Nothing can prevent that other than keeping the vehicle indoors all the time. At certian times of the year, I've watched pollen, dust, or even tiny bits of debris from the crops being harvested collect on my cars while I'm drying them! It's frustrating, but impossible to avoid.

The difference, in my experience, between a coated and a sealed/waxed vehicle is how easily the dust is removed. A light layer may partially blow off or get rinsed off by a light rain or snow. Heavier accumulations come off almost effortlessly with a quick wash.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. I wasn’t expecting anyone to have had this issue with any coatings, but I wanted to verify. Not that the customer would be swayed by it, but at least I know what I’m talking about.
    Thanks for your feedback!

BTW, I was going to send him some maintenance products offered by Epic to work with the ceramic, maybe that might mitigate the issue, but not sure at this point what I’m looking at based on what he’s saying.
    -Goose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast