autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WWYD : Ivory Interior

Are you sure that leather doesn't have a coating on it?

I've driven an 850, M5, and a 550 all with that Ivory leather (sat in a few more like a 7-series with it too) and they all had the same type of leather as any other top-model BMW. The color was different, but the composition of the material was the same. Like Eldorado mentioned the only vehicle I know with the uncoated leather was the Ford King Ranch. That stuff looked to be a nightmare to maintain and I imagine it would not wear well over time either.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Thanks Bill D thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The dash, doorcards, etc is all true to the spec of the leather.
    However.....one funky detail not known as one should presume the seats are all the same material

This is where it's not 100% written is USA literature but for the seats, where it's still the same spec leather on where it is -solid- like the boltsers, headrest. In the center where the perforated leather is, they use a cheaper color coated leather for this. I suspect it's due to the perforations, they chose to do this for durability but it's not in any literature calling out this one specific detail

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you're confusing me, too. I always understood the "coating" to be clear and having nothing to do with the "dye" which is responsible for the color of the leather. I've never heard of a "color coating" except as a repair product for damaged seats. But I'm far from a leather expert, just what I've absorbed from forums over the years which may be limited due to my factory coating.

5. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    It's exactly as stated . The leather being discussed is not -color coated-, aka, a plastic like product that is sprayed ontop that gives the leather the color it is.

The leather being discussed is dyed.
    The only kind of “color coated” that I’m aware of comes from a product such as this.

Btw I’ve seen the results from that stuff as a highly regarded detailer changed the color of his leather & vinyl interior using that and the results were phenomenal.

But when it comes to seats, I agree with Setec Astronomy, I’ve never heard of seats being coated with anything but a clear coating unless it’s a leather repair job.

And I’ve never even considered the vinyl on dash & door panels being sprayed with its final color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you sure that leather doesn't have a coating on it?

I've driven an 850, M5, and a 550 all with that Ivory leather (sat in a few more like a 7-series with it too) and they all had the same type of leather as any other top-model BMW. The color was different, but the composition of the material was the same. Like Eldorado mentioned the only vehicle I know with the uncoated leather was the Ford King Ranch. That stuff looked to be a nightmare to maintain and I imagine it would not wear well over time either.
    The way those patches of discoloration wouldn’t budge on that white interior felt weird to me, kinda like if I was trying to clean a soccer ball that had a been used a bit. It almost felt like natural wear and not just dirt that could be cleaned off. If you told me that leather wasn’t coated, I wouldn’t be surprised.

8. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also not an expert in leather so I may be wrong, but...

I believe semi-aniline leather typically has a thin layer of color coating applied between the (likely dyed) leather and a clear coating.

I do know that isolated damage can occur to semi-aniline leather, as I've seen it happen, although I don't know what part of the leather was damaged (a coating, the dye, or both). The leather also "felt" different to me on these "stains".

I don't have advice about the original question about coating the seats, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a question about it, then lean toward the side of caution and don't put a coating on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12