autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AutoFiber Scrub Ninja - Anyone use it -long term-

Remember when the Magic Erasers came out and it was being used on paint scuffs and seats...and such.....

So I have the AF Scrub Ninja's but have not used on the interior yet.
    I'm planning to give it a pass on the steering wheel this weekend.

Slightly hesitant as all I use are MF's on the interior....
    Might need to scuff a bit on the door panels but no so much - I generally opt for a high PH cleaner that melt's it off and a simple wipe and thorough rinse with a MF is all that is needed.

Just going to use the Scrub Ninja on my steering wheel and outer bolster to see how much -more it pulls out- that what I believe is already clean.

However....for those who have been using it - are you seeing any potential accelerated wear (smoothing of leather grain) due to it.
    This is on semi-aniline leather and not coated, so the texture on the leather being discussed is mildly textured vs pigmented leather which has a (consistent pattern) to it

I'm pretty dang picky about both items being discussed, which is probably the highest wear item in a car...
    I usually use like 6 MF's on a steering wheel....
    And sometimes if I have extra rainy day funds, after 24 months and I still have another 24 months in a lease, I may buy a new steering wheel and just flip the other one to cover whatever losses are in it. I love the texture and super no sheen of new steering wheel and try to keep it as such, but eventually it doesn't tend to get smooth, just from use and does take on some sheen.

Leather bolsters, I do the -scoot- when getting in and out but this is just one area that it is what it is.
    It does take on some sheen as well, but I don't think it's from oils but more the surface getting smoother - heh, kinda like polishing paint and how light reflects due to the flat surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AutoFiber Scrub Ninja - Anyone use it -long term-

FWIW, while many have praised the scrub ninja for steering wheels, I found when I used it on my last car's wheel (admittedly with about 290k on it) I found it seemed like it was too aggressive and affected the dye. Note while it had high miles, it had no obvious wear or compromised areas like you frequently see.

Because of that the most aggressive I'll go on a steering wheel from then forward is a boars hair/horsehair brush or a microfiber towel.

I've not had any bad experiences using the scrub ninja on seats or panels though and will continue to use them there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    FWIW, while many have praised the scrub ninja for steering wheels, I found when I used it on my last car's wheel (admittedly with about 290k on it) I found it seemed like it was too aggressive and affected the dye. Note while it had high miles, it had no obvious wear or compromised areas like you frequently see.

Because of that the most aggressive I'll go on a steering wheel from then forward is a boars hair/horsehair brush or a microfiber towel.

I've not had any bad experiences using the scrub ninja on seats or panels though and will continue to use them there.
    Akin to the YMMV rule, one of the very reasons why I don't even use my Dupray steamer for cars. While very subtle, I have seen subtle color shifts on -test areas- which was enough for me to not risk it on any interior covering:textile that is within ones eyes view

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    my last car's wheel (admittedly with about 290k on it)

Post Thanks / Like

AutoFiber Scrub Ninja - Anyone use it -long term-

I recently bought the Scrub Ninja Mitt and have used it on a handful of vehicles but not on the steering wheels. As a matter of fact that thing’s not coming anywhere near my own interior, ever. Lol.
    Yes I agree with alot of what you said regarding the cleaning of leather steering wheels and agree that a microfiber towel can get as clean as can be without being overly aggressive. I also feel that brushes are somewhat useless on the outer part of the wheel and only need brushes for the buttons on the steering wheel. I don’t need a steamer near it either.

Once I quickly realized the level of power the Scrub Ninja has compared to a melamine sponge, any further testing wasn’t necessary. IMO Scrub Ninja is good for vehicles I’m detailing for the 1st time to get the job done faster, but I’m not using it on my own vehicle when a microfiber towel and the proper leather cleaner or even diluted APC do a complete and fine job.

Give us an update after you try it.

[edit: I did use it on at least 1 steering wheel, it worked ok, but in order to really get it to contour like a towel you’d have to press harder thus making things even more aggressive. Because of that it was sort of tedious]

6. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I recently bought the Scrub Ninja Mitt and have used it on a handful of vehicles but not on the steering wheels. As a matter of fact that thing’s not coming anywhere near my own interior, ever. Lol.
    Yes I agree with alot of what you said regarding the cleaning of leather steering wheels and agree that a microfiber towel can get as clean as can be without being overly aggressive. I also feel that brushes are somewhat useless on the outer part of the wheel and only need brushes for the buttons on the steering wheel. I don’t need a steamer near it either.

Once I quickly realized the level of power the Scrub Ninja has compared to a melamine sponge, any further testing wasn’t necessary. IMO Scrub Ninja is good for vehicles I’m detailing for the 1st time to get the job done faster, but I’m not using it on my own vehicle when a microfiber towel and the proper leather cleaner or even diluted APC do a complete and fine job.

Give us an update after you try it.

[edit: I did use it on at least 1 steering wheel, it worked ok, but in order to really get it to contour like a towel you’d have to press harder thus making things even more aggressive. Because of that it was sort of tedious]
    I agree that these are aggressive, but a time saver! I use the CarPro microfiber gloves for bad steering wheels - a little easier to use than a towel when you need some serous scrubbing!

Post Thanks / Like

These last 2 response....seems like it's a hard pass on the scrub ninja

Going to have to find the previous threads on why it made me buy them ....I recall the overall consensus was this thing pulls out more dirt than when u think it's already clean with a MF with no harm to the final finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    These last 2 response....seems like it's a hard pass on the scrub ninja

Going to have to find the previous threads on why it made me buy them ....I recall the overall consensus was this thing pulls out more dirt than when u think it's already clean with a MF with no harm to the final finish.
    This was my experience with them in a nutshell, and the last time I posted that opinion I got roasted so I stopped commenting

I cleaned the steering wheel on my 2008 4Runner that had been maintained with the aforementioned cleaners and microfibers and I considered it clean

One cleaning with P&S Express at 1:1 and a Scrub Ninja turned the Scrub Ninja black as well as the damp Kirkland microfiber I used to wipe it down

People went nuts and said I was pulling dye off the leather and in retrospect I wish I had done a 50/50 or a 25/25/25/25 with other methods to prove how filthy that "clean" steering wheel really was and how it was the mechanical action of the Scrub Ninja and not the chemical that pulled out years of imbedded grime, not dye

I think I did post a picture of a white terry cloth cotton washcloth I wiped it down with after the fact using the P&S Express to show how no more black was coming off the wheel

I even went and tried it on a very hidden part of the steering wheel on my 2020 Lexus and it didn't get ANYTHING off because that wheel was pristine and there was no imbedded grime to remove, and it certainly didn't remove any dye

I cleaned the wheel on my 2017 Tacoma in Hawaii in June of 2022 when I detailed it to sell and once again it didn't remove any dye

As always, YMMV and perhaps my sampling of 3 Toyota family products is only relevant to me

There is at least one other well respected person on here that mirrored my experiences but I will let them speak for themselves

10. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the type of material used on the ASN is similar to the surbuf pads that were used for paint correction back in the day when microfiber pads started to come out. they have that soft, pointy, and prickly hair like strands that gets deep into the material you are trying to clean. it's a good idea to have a few of these on hand...
    i am the jump starter.

12. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"AGGRESSIVE BUT GENTLE CLEANING – The stiff nylon bristles brush away debris gently and with ease. More aggressive than a microfiber towel but more gentle than a melamine sponge."

Being more aggressive than microfiber explains how they can clean better, so for me the question is: is there something that microfiber is not cleaning that makes using this necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast