autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tough removal of Sonax EX 04-06 - fun turned frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    I've had some product sit a bit too long after i polished, or I used too much or too little....not sure, but generally, after a correction step, one swipe of a microfiber pulls up the lion's share of the spent product on the paint

every once in a while, it doesn't cooperate....I usually don't try to buff it too much at this point if I can avoid it

rather than work the surface with the MF to get it off, I'll usually do a quick sprits of prep, and it cleans up slick and quick
    I've experienced something similar. Before I started using coatings and had a panel prep on hand, a spritz of QD spray would help remove and stubborn polish remnants.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

That green pad, wether it be the Hex Logic of the Buff and Shine is my most used pad for starting paint corrections. And that machine is my most used tool.

A lot of times when I have issues removing polish it's from generating to much heat via pressure, and tool speed. That being said I've never tried that particular polish.

That pad with Ultimate Compound was the majority of what I used for heavy cutting situations when I started using the PC in 2013 (I bought it in 2011, but was still mostly using the rotary). I've read that Meguiar's adds certain cleaners that help cut through the road grime and water spots in the formula. These ingredients could help cut through previously applied protection, which could also be a culprit in difficult wipe off.

I did a car for a co-worker. I started it at the shop, but had to finish it at home. In the interim I applied Optimum Car Wax to protect it for the week until I could get to it. Big mistake. On this car I started with 3D ONE on a Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber, and on the outside perimeter of the work area therer was a build up that didn't want to wipe off. So I did a panel wipe with Optimum Power Clean to remove the wax, and a "rinse" with ONR in a spray bottle. This took care of that situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! I did a few more tests, and also bought some new goodies, including the Hercules forced rotation DA.

I put a new backing plate on the PC, broke out the Sonax and a green pad, and tested on my wife’s VW Atlas. All the same equipment and prep as with my car.

Experience was pretty different and results were good. Aside from just being another car, another color…it did not have any Beadmaker on it for at least a couple months.

So I’m thinking there was still some Beadmaker on the paint, and the Megs UC had enough cut to get through. The Sonax didn’t have enough cut, and was being pushed around with some Beadmaker.

It does make sense, and I’m going to say that was the issue so I can stop thinking about it.

Next up, test out the new DA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2014 BMW 535 M Sport

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12