autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Once a year compound/polish.

Hey fellas, I have a black 2006 GMC Sierra that I daily drive, I am a weekend warrior when it comes to detailing. I have experience with a dual action polisher, I just got the new Milwaukee M18.

The black paint on this truck has its share of light scratches and swirls, I do not expect a show finish, especially on a daily driver.

What can you recommend for a once-a-year springtime polish or compound? Maybe the first time it gets cleaned up it gets something more aggressive then every year use a light polish to keep up on it?

What do you guys recommend. I have been around detailing for awhile. Just would like some opinions, I do not want anything too aggressive every year and burn up the clear coat.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Once a year compound/polish.

The idea is to have a wash routine where you don't need to do annual correction unless required. You may want to look at your maintenance wash routine.

The first wash before correction is usually a production-aggressive decontamination wash. After you've done all the hard work, you want to go with regular non-aggressive two-bucket washes, using good wash soap, high in lubricity, sun-safe, and good chenille wash mitts. Loads of articles and videos (from Mike Phillips) out there on this topic.

3. Likes Paul A., opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a foam gun and learn an extreme washing method. It’s what I did and my 13 year old driver has *never* needed polishing. It’s looks at least as good as a new car.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

5. Likes chilly, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might opt to use a cleaner wax (or synthetic sio2/polymer type AIO [polish+sealant]) which will lightly clean the paint up (swirl removal) but not so aggressively that you'd worry about running out of clear coat ever. You'd use a soft foam polishing pad might be called finnessing or finishing.

Use microfiber products (towels/wash pad/mitt) made with 70% polyester and 30% polyamide (nylon) which are the softest - best for softer paint or black paint or both like in your case.

And improve your wash routine as LSNautodetail alludes to so as not to add those swirls back in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fye789 View Post
    Hey fellas, I have a black 2006 GMC Sierra that I daily drive, I am a weekend warrior when it comes to detailing. I have experience with a dual action polisher, I just got the new Milwaukee M18.

The black paint on this truck has its share of light scratches and swirls, I do not expect a show finish, especially on a daily driver.

What can you recommend for a once-a-year springtime polish or compound? Maybe the first time it gets cleaned up it gets something more aggressive then every year use a light polish to keep up on it?

What do you guys recommend. I have been around detailing for awhile. Just would like some opinions, I do not want anything too aggressive every year and burn up the clear coat.

Thanks!
    My black Chevy Colorado gets Meguiar's 205 or 210 for routine polishing. While both are considered finishing polishes, the 205 is slightly more aggressive and will remove swirls faster than the 210. Either one will finish out beautifully on my paint.

As far as your concern for burning up the clear coat goes, I wouldn't even worry about that. At once a year, I might start to consider that risk around the year 2045, assuming the paint hasn't been butchered or sun damaged to this point.

If you need something more aggressive than the 205 or 210, 105 or 110 should do the trick.

8. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the Blackfire One Step. It's extremely easy to work with and offers excellent results. If you need to go more aggressive you can use a compound first with cutting foam pads and follow up with the One Step with polishing foam pads. Good luck!

BLACKFIRE One Step

Post Thanks / Like

What will you be applying as your form of protection? Wax, polymer sealant, ceramic coating? 3D One has become immensely popular as a one step polish I personally use Turtle Wax One & Done.

11. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like others have mentioned, nail down and refine your wash and dry procedures, esp with black paint. If you do contact washes use very light pressure. Don't overpress and grind in new swirls and scratches while washing.

Use a blow dryer to dry and further reduce any "friction" passes as much as possible. A good LSP makes that easier.

If a light correction is necessary my 2 fav's are 3D One and Sonax Perfect Finish. Pads vary but medium to light density foam are my choices.

13. Likes LSNAutoDetailing, fye789 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas! I have my wash routine pretty refined, I should have mentioned that this truck is newer to me.

I appreciate all the input!

15. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a once/twice yearly cleanup, i like the Blackfire One Step with an orange Lake Country pad. Top that with Collinite 476. Overall looks great, straightforward process you don't need to overthink, and good protection. Maybe once a month i'll throw on some P&S Beadmaker. I've been doing this to my wife's car and have been very happy.

Matt
    2014 BMW 535 M Sport

17. Likes fye789 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast