autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Safe nitrocellulose solvent for clear coat and paint

I sprayed large area too thinly with a "Removeable spray coating" meant for cars. The instruction says to use nitrocellulose solvent to remove it - what would be a safe nitrocellulose solvent for my Honda Accord 2019 to not damage the clear coat and paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safe nitrocellulose solvent for clear coat and paint

Nitrocellulose is a type of lacquer paint used in early automotive finishes. Not sure of the exact years it was used, but when I started painting in the 1960s, it had already been replaced by acrylic lacquers.

I would think any modern lacquer thinner would work for you. Acetone would also work but it dries faster than most lacquer thinners so working with the lacquer thinner may be a better option in your case. Either of those solvents do pose some risk to existing finishes so be careful. Avoid excessive dwell times. Dwell only as long as necessary. And definitely try a small spot before going crazy with it.

A safer alternative would be mineral spirits although it may not dissolve what you're trying to remove. It's worth a try though. That would be my first choice before moving on to the more aggressive lacquer thinner or acetone.

Another option, depending on the thickness of what your trying to remove would be to go at it with a polisher and compound.

Good luck.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re mineral spirits, could you recommend a product that I could buy online with a description how to use it safely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Nitrocellulose is a type of lacquer paint used in early automotive finishes. Not sure of the exact years it was used, but when I started painting in the 1960s, it had already been replaced by acrylic lacquers.

I would think any modern lacquer thinner would work for you. Acetone would also work but it dries faster than most lacquer thinners so working with the lacquer thinner may be a better option in your case. Either of those solvents do pose some risk to existing finishes so be careful. Avoid excessive dwell times. Dwell only as long as necessary. And definitely try a small spot before going crazy with it.

A safer alternative would be mineral spirits although it may not dissolve what you're trying to remove. It's worth a try though. That would be my first choice before moving on to the more aggressive lacquer thinner or acetone.

Another option, depending on the thickness of what your trying to remove would be to go at it with a polisher and compound.

Good luck.
    John, what is your opinion on 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover for this? Would that work?

I know that it is clear coat safe, and I have seen it remove things that acetone would not. But I'm not sure how effective it would be in this case.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    John, what is your opinion on 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover for this? Would that work?

I know that it is clear coat safe, and I have seen it remove things that acetone would not. But I'm not sure how effective it would be in this case.
    It's worth a try.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post