autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question about coating lite (Megs HPC) and rain

I put a coat of the Megs hybrid paint coating on lastnight and it got to sit for about 7 hours or more before it got rained on. In the instructions it states keep water away for 24. But, as is life, sometimes things don't work out perfectly. So my question is has anyone ever had similar happen and what were the results? As in, is the coating compromised and everything has to be polished off and start over? I mean, not every situation can go on best step by step instructions all the time, people have work, no garage, etc that could dictate what they have to work with or around. That being said, is the coating toast now? What were others experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about coating lite (Megs HPC) and rain

The 24 hr cure period is definitely critical to the bonding process. You'll want to plan ahead for the next time to ensure that rain is NOT in the forecast.

There isn't anything you can do about it now. But that doesn't mean your totally screwed. You'll probably still be able to benefit from solid protection for a few months at minimum, maybe even longer, who knows at this point.

Once 7 days has elapsed, you can wash it. Maintain the coating by washing it every 7-10 days with your favorite ph neutral soap or RW. Keeping the surface free of contaminants avoids "clogging" of the coating. Avoid topping it with other products which may affect its performance. Stick with the same family which is Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic detailer (same chemistry) or even Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wash n Wax.

Here is TIP: if you don't like the soap in the Hybrid Ceramic Wash n Wax (its not foamy like most of us like), you can just use the "Si02 Boost" concentrate and dump it into a small spray bottle. Use it as a topper after a wash and when the vehicle is dried. It works very well and gives gloss and insane hydrophobics just like HPC. This is a unconventional application method but I can attest that it works because I have done it.

Applying the "Si02 Boost" this way after every wash or every other wash or heck, even every 3rd wash will extend the life of HPC indefinitely or until you run out of the Boost.

3. Thanks Silly Rabbit thanked for this post
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info. I did my father's car for him, it was in the garage overnight but he had to take it to work the next day. Weather man said rain would be over way before midnight, and a clear morning. Well who could imagine a weather forcast could be wrong.... by 6+ hours...
    I looked out the window and just shook my head... rain. Ugh.
    I have been using M27 as my base for about the last 2 years, love the stuff! I just picked up some boxes of the Megs HPC from Ollie's, there is only 1 place that started selling it up here, it wasn't offered in Canada. And now Megs has slated it for discontinued list, with the other products like Wash+ and Fast Finish. So I figured grab it while I can, and at a great price! Also for the last 2 years I have been using, and am a HUGE fan, of Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wash & Wax, GREAT product!!! On M27 it pumps up the pros. I have also thrown in topping with the Megs line here and there, M799 and Ceramic Detailer, and Hybrid Ceramic wax (spray). Love them all working togeather. Figured I'dd give the HPC a try as a base. The unexpected rain gave me concern after all the work.
    But if you figure I am good with some protection, I will let it ride and keep using the methods I have been using to upkeep it. Maybe even around November or December before the worst of winter digs in I will throw a sacrificial layer of M27 on top of it??
    I also like your alternative method of using the si02 in the soap, I may try that way. I have a bottle of Gyeon Bathe + sitting, one of the ways it can be used is similar to how you mention, after washing foam cannon it all over the car for extra protection.

I have thought many times while washing that I have to make a post about how great I find Megs Hybrid Wash & Wax. And on that note, Megs has slated that product to the chopping block as well. If you like it, grab it now. Up here V CT has clearanced it, I've been grabbing them at great prices where I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I have thought many times while washing that I have to make a post about how great I find Megs Hybrid Wash & Wax. And on that note, Megs has slated that product to the chopping block as well. If you like it, grab it now. Up here V CT has clearanced it, I've been grabbing them at great prices where I can.
    Where did Meguiar's say that Hybrid Ceramic Wash n Wax is being discontinued? It's still on their website, unlike HPC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Where did Meguiar's say that Hybrid Ceramic Wash n Wax is being discontinued? It's still on their website, unlike HPC.
    I talked to one of the fellows at HQ. Not the first time they have said this. I first heard a few months ago, been stocking up on them since. When I first saw CT up here had them on 'clearance', so I called them. Sure enough, getting chopped. So far the mitt that they made for it is not on the list too.

7. Thanks evo77 thanked for this post