autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Microfibers linting heavily

I'm sure this is a 90% ME issue, and a 5% microfiber towel issue and a 5% glossy as all get-out BLACK CAR issue, but I've noticed, particularly when removing a spray sealant, that there is micro-lint over large portions of my Camaro. I'm using the Turtle Wax Spray Waxes, primarily the Ceramic Spray Coating and the Flex Wax. Both of which recommend a damp-wipe before a dry-buff removal, which is when the linting is appearing (the dry buff).

I'm sure that a good portion of the reason is because being on a fixed income (now that I'm retired and a WIFE-controlled income before I retired), I can't just run out and get the 'Best of the Best' microfiber towels. But up until recently, when I really upped the gloss and clarity of the Camaro (the only car I've really noticed it on), the Walmart 40-pack towels were working great, but now...

I have a washer/dryer combo unit and when I wash my towels, it's usually only a medium sized load, with ONE detergent pod (Tide - NO fabric Softener). I set the machine to a heavy wash - but no dry cycle, and when it's done, I set it for a second washing cycle with no soap. To make sure all the soap residue is removed. THEN I set them to dry, but not completely. They are "damp-dry" coming out of the machine and they air-dry the rest of the way.

Since the sealant has been primarily removed by the damp-wipe, the 2nd microfiber is picking up mostly water and very little (if any wax residue), I was wondering if using a glass-specific microfiber would be advisable, since I know they don't lint?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfibers linting heavily

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Since the sealant has been primarily removed by the damp-wipe, the 2nd microfiber is picking up mostly water and very little (if any wax residue), I was wondering if using a glass-specific microfiber would be advisable, since I know they don't lint?
    Sounds like a plan..How old are those Walmart towels? Maybe down grade them and get a few new ones, it should not break the bank.

3. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes John U, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Sounds like a plan..How old are those Walmart towels? Maybe down grade them and get a few new ones, it should not break the bank.
    Agreed.

You don't have to spend a ton on quality MF towels, Don.

And with care, they should last you for a few years.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These Harbor Freight Grant edgeless microfiber towels are of good quality and haven't been linty in my experience. You can't beat the price with a 12 pack being only $6.99.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bri26 View Post
    These Harbor Freight Grant edgeless microfiber towels are of good quality and haven't been linty in my experience. You can't beat the price with a 12 pack being only $6.99.
    Do you own a black car?

Post Thanks / Like

I myself has not come to a consensus:conclusion of what cause MF rot...

Out of my stash, my rarely used MFM Crazy Pile (which is not used much) decided to shed like crazy.
    I tend to use my TRC stash more
    One of the more $$$ towels that I have regulated to the bin of BS duties mainly due to the shedding it leaves behind.

Post Thanks / Like

I've completely abondoned long nap towels (except MF wash pads) due to linting. If the title/description mentions "plush," I avoid.

I exclusively use low nap 70/30 towels now. Usually int he 300 GSM range, though the autofiber korean pearl weave (450 or 500 gms iirc) are the exception, i love those towels, but still very short nap with the pearl weave.

You don't need plush to have a towel be soft or absorb well. 70/30 split is the softest and most absorptive, with the GSM rating also helping with absorption (if desired).

Best overall towel, IMO, is the Rag company edgeless 300. It's 70/30 and short nap, and cheap! Best towel for coating, soft, then throw them away. Good for topping or apply drying aid, though the 300 GSM doesn't hold as much water as a 500gsm towel.