autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing, please answer my questions!

Hello,

So I'm very new to detailing, and I got myself a Rupes Bigfoot machine to start, along with Rupes UNO Protect and UNO Pure. But I have a couple questions.

My car is black, and it's practically new, so I don't want to go very aggressive on what I do to it. I want to make sure that the products I'm using are the right ones! I'm just looking to correct the mild defects a car comes with when you pick it up from a dealer. Paint swirls, etc. No heavy scratches. So here we go:

1. Are Rupes UNO Protect and Pure supposed to go together? Or it's one or the other? In which case, which one would be recommended?

2. What speed should my machine be at for using either of these products? What speed for Polishing and what speed for correcting?

3. Should I be using Foam pads or Wool pads? Any advantages?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing, please answer my questions!

What kind of car?

1. UNO Protect is an all-in-one polish. They can remove light to moderate defects and are very useful for detailers when they are looking to quickly add some gloss to a vehicle, remove light defects and add a little protection. UNO Pure is a finishing polish. You'd use this after doing a heavy compound with something like D-A Course or you can use it to add maximum gloss if your paint is already in pretty good condition and you're not looking to remove defects. Of the two you have Protect is going to have the most correcting power.

2. 3 to 4

3. If you're new to detailing stay away from wool and microfiber. They're more aggressive and will probably require a finishing polish to remove the haze left behind, especially on black paint. Go with a foam. I'm partial to the Lake Country SDO blue pads for a one step correction. I usually pair it with 3D One and get great results for moderate defects on most paints.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a wealth of information on this website, answer to nearly every question detailing related.

One needs to learn is steps, small steps and take time, a lot of time to learn and improve, so it is not a simple answer to a simple question.

A friend of a friend bought some DA and compound, tried to polish his new car, and then came to me with the exterior that was in a pretty bad shape after his attempts. He even managed to go all the way down to the metal on the edge of the right rear bumper bar (the only thing that I could not fix, as he needed a respray on that one).

In my view, car detailing is a long process of learning, practicing, more learning and then more practicing.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info!

It's a black Carrera S.

Another question I had and I forgot, I see a lot of spray sealants / waxes, I'm not experienced to pull a coating myself, so I'm interested on a simple Spray protection. Is there any specific products you can recommend? I've been reading about the SiO2 sealants, and the Griots 3 in 1 Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

With the advances in coatings their pretty easy to apply. Just make sure to buff all off and it’s pretty simple.

If I were to be scared of something it would be the polishing WAY before I would worry about applying a coating. It’s much simpler.

To me,a coating also looks better than anything else on black. If your going to put in the effort to polish atleast do some more research on coatings.

The Gyeon products are very user friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarioSH View Post
    Thank you for the info!

It's a black Carrera S.

Another question I had and I forgot, I see a lot of spray sealants / waxes, I'm not experienced to pull a coating myself, so I'm interested on a simple Spray protection. Is there any specific products you can recommend? I've been reading about the SiO2 sealants, and the Griots 3 in 1 Wax.
    As a very basic rule of thumb, Porshe paint is typically on the harder side. Now that means it will be harder to scratch, but harder to correct as well.

I would use either of the Rupes polishes on a foam pad and see what you get. Think Rupes yellow or white foam pads.

As for spray sealants, if you have used the Uno Protect, you will have some protection left behind. You can then add to that with a spray sealant as desired, something like Adam's Slick & Slide, Megs Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, P&S Defender.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest getting a quality detailing light so you can better examine the surface. You want to be able to see whatever it is you are trying to fix and then be able to see whether you fixed it instead of just guessing. You wouldn't (or at least *shouldn't*) add salt and spices to something you were cooking without tasting it before and after. Something like a Scangrip Minimatch or competitive equivalent as a start would be my recommendation.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the info!

So if I went the coating route, I’ve been looking at certain coatings and after reading a bunch and watching videos and guides, I’ve narrowed it down to Gydeon Pure Evo, Gydeon MOHS Evo, and Crystal Serum Light.

I like the idea of the Pure Evo because of the long window it gives me for removal, which sounds easy. While the MOHS also sounds simple because of the clear removal time but I’m a little worried about working very small areas at a time.

The Crystal Serum Light, I like it a lot and it seems very popular, and from what I’ve gathered you can work big panels as well, and from what I’ve seen the removal is either instantly wipe off or you can leave it on a couple of minutes without any issues.

Out of the three, for a black car that isn’t driven very much, which one would you recommend?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarioSH View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info!

So if I went the coating route, I’ve been looking at certain coatings and after reading a bunch and watching videos and guides, I’ve narrowed it down to Gydeon Pure Evo, Gydeon MOHS Evo, and Crystal Serum Light.

I like the idea of the Pure Evo because of the long window it gives me for removal, which sounds easy. While the MOHS also sounds simple because of the clear removal time but I’m a little worried about working very small areas at a time.

The Crystal Serum Light, I like it a lot and it seems very popular, and from what I’ve gathered you can work big panels as well, and from what I’ve seen the removal is either instantly wipe off or you can leave it on a couple of minutes without any issues.

Out of the three, for a black car that isn’t driven very much, which one would you recommend?

Thank you.
    Mohs Evo hands down between all three. Another option is the DIY Detail 5 year ceramic. Super easy to use.

10. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched your videos on all the three products I mentioned. Great stuff! I’ll follow your advice and go with the MOHS then.

Thank you!

12. Thanks The Guz thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast