autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer added “Paint protection”. Should I get my own instead?

Just bought a brand-new car (Mazda - dark gray color) in AZ. Hate how thin the clear coat is. It comes with “Armor All Smart Shield” paint protection with 10 years exterior warranty.

They couldn’t apply it any worse even if they wanted to. Zero prep work. There are streaks, haze spots on the hood, etc. Went on a first road trip and got bunch of bug splatters on the bumper. I highly doubt it’s providing any protection because those bugs were hard to get off.

This thing is not going to last 10 years. At max 1 year. So, this is what I am trying to decide between:

1. Should I get it professionally polished and apply my own ceramic protection?

2. Since it has 10 years warranty, should I neglect the paint and have them re-paint the car when the hot AZ summer burns through the clear coat within 5 - 10 years.

I know the 2nd option might be unethical but WHY include a mandatory paint protection with 10-year warranty that you’ll apply the worst way possible.

I’m leaning towards the option 1 because if I go with 2, I also don’t want to risk them denying the warranty for I don’t know what reason or re-painting just one section without being able to match it properly.

What do you think? What would you do?

Also, anyone have any experience using Smart Shield warranty process?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer added “Paint protection”. Should I get my own instead?

I would defiantly give it a water test to see how it sheets of or beads off. It is just stick and stays on the paint it is bear and they blew smoke up you A$$
    And if it just runs off or beads then I would keep it and maintain it! Eventually it will degrade and you can start fresh.

3. Thanks r3faat1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanaDetailingPros View Post
    I would defiantly give it a water test to see how it sheets of or beads off. It is just stick and stays on the paint it is bear and they blew smoke up you A$$
    And if it just runs off or beads then I would keep it and maintain it! Eventually it will degrade and you can start fresh.

Agreed, + if you settle for option 1 I suggest you let a professional do both paint correction and ceramic coating.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a polisher and do all of it yourself. That way in 2-3 years when you wanna do again you’ll have the tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes DAC17, Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Buy a polisher and do all of it yourself. That way in 2-3 years when you wanna do again you’ll have the tools
    This would be my recommendation too. If you have the ability to do it yourself, you can save a lot of money and it's a great way to learn every little nuance of your car.

If there are "streaks" and "haze spots", there is no way I'd leave it in that condition for however long it takes to wear off. I'd give it until the weather cools off in mid-September and then give the car the proper attention it deserves.

I wouldn't even consider your #2 option. You'd likely loose in the end due to some legal loophole and your vehicle would look terrible for years as it slowly failed. Whatever they smeared all over your car is a gimic and I'd treat it as such. Walk away and do whatever you want to care for your car properly.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Thanks r3faat1 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I'll go with option 1. Even if they repaint it per warranty, it'll be one section at a time and it will probably look horrible.

I do have a DA polisher so I'll stick to DIY ceramic coating with 1-step polish.

I seriously HATE how thin the paint is. It's a $40k brand new 2023 car. I measured the clear coat and it's literally 65 - 80 microns. My previous 12 year old car still had 120 - 140.

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r3faat1 View Post
    Just bought a brand-new car (Mazda - dark gray color) in AZ. Hate how thin the clear coat is. It comes with “Armor All Smart Shield” paint protection with 10 years exterior warranty.

They couldn’t apply it any worse even if they wanted to. Zero prep work. There are streaks, haze spots on the hood, etc. Went on a first road trip and got bunch of bug splatters on the bumper. I highly doubt it’s providing any protection because those bugs were hard to get off.

This thing is not going to last 10 years. At max 1 year. So, this is what I am trying to decide between:

1. Should I get it professionally polished and apply my own ceramic protection?

2. Since it has 10 years warranty, should I neglect the paint and have them re-paint the car when the hot AZ summer burns through the clear coat within 5 - 10 years.

I know the 2nd option might be unethical but WHY include a mandatory paint protection with 10-year warranty that you’ll apply the worst way possible.

I’m leaning towards the option 1 because if I go with 2, I also don’t want to risk them denying the warranty for I don’t know what reason or re-painting just one section without being able to match it properly.

What do you think? What would you do?

Also, anyone have any experience using Smart Shield warranty process?
    So it yourself. All they are doing is charging you for a warranty. This scam dates back to the 80's if not before. I grew up in the car business and it's a pure profit center for the F & I office.

It will look awesome when done. Pics of one I did in that color last summer:

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Likes PaulMys, Jackismydog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r3faat1 View Post

I seriously HATE how thin the paint is. It's a $40k brand new 2023 car. I measured the clear coat and it's literally 65 - 80 microns. My previous 12 year old car still had 120 - 140.
    Mazda's have been like that for years though. Our first was in 2003 and then 2008 and really, all of them I see are like that. Thin water based paints and the process they use when applying them. My wife's 2018 has between 60-80 microns on the roof.

PPF the heck out of it and you'll be fine.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Thanks r3faat1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If cared for properly that Mazda paint should hold up pretty good over time, even if it is pretty thin.

My daughter drives a 2010 Mazda3 I bough in the fall of 2009 and drove it for 4~5 years before passing it to her. Over the years it was always well cared for with at least one polish per year and then every three years when I switched to coatings. Even know with 100K+ miles, living in dorm/apartment parking lot for 6 years, being re-ended TWICE, and not exactly an easy life after that, the paint still looks brand new.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

16. Thanks r3faat1 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They’re going to deny the warranty even if you do nothing. There are plenty of horror stories filed with the BBB on relating to dealer applied “coatings”. If this paint protection package is anything like the dealerships around me offer, it’s a cheap spray on sealant that you have to get reapplied every 6 months. Just imagine the amount of damage the dealership “detailers” can do to your car if you let them get their hands on it twice a year.

Like everyone else has said, invest in some equipment and learn to do it yourself. Since I had some old Ryobi batteries from old lawn care equipment I bought a Ryobi cordless polisher and learned how to do a light polish and spray coatings and then worked my way up to a real coating.

18. Thanks r3faat1 thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast